1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by lerwilliams84, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Hi, My boyfriend has been offered a job in Hong Kong starting in August!! I want to go with him but haven't got a job at the moment but am atively looking!! I have just a few queries to ask and would really appreciate the help:
    1. There are jobs advertised on here for Independant Schools within HK, but they are no International or British Schools. How would this affect me on my return to the UK if I haven't taught from the UK Curriculum for two years?
    2. Does anyone know any agencies or anywhere else that I could look for a job on?
    3. Anyone know anything on supply teaching in HK?

Thanks and I hope someone can help me!!

2. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Hello 84,
    On point 1., independent schools in Hong Kong might very well follow a version of the English National Curriculum, in particular if they offer IGCSE or A-Levels. Independent Schools will generally cater for international students and so therefore will offer an international-type curriculum. The term "British" school is such a vague one as to be nonsensical - look at the independent schools in Hong Kong and research their curriculum; you will find that most reputable ones offer a version of the English NC.
    Can't help you with 2. or 3. I'm afraid.

3. pixel

pixel New commenter

HI Syria 1,
    Good to see you on here.

Hi 84,
    Congrats to your boyfriend on his appointment and good look with finding one for yourself.
    Some schools will actively help you to look for HK jobs, so ask your BF to let his school know you are looking.
    1. A lot of the jobs in the HK international Schools have been filled now, but others do keep coming up. There are many schools apart from the obvious which follow a UK-similar curriculum.
    2. TES is your best bet as the recruitment fairs have finished. You could register with "Search" though.
    3. You can't do supply without a valid visa, so you would need to be married.

4. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Hi Pixel,
    hope all is well! Happy Tigers are currently leaping around everywhere here (probably scared by the fireworks) and the zoo has eight new red panda cubs. What more does one need?

5. From my research I get that it's an okay place to work and that people work well in a team. The problem I'm finding is that the package isn't great... in fact it's awful!!!