1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong with a child

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by worlo24, Sep 18, 2018.

  1. worlo24

    worlo24 Occasional commenter


    My wife and I are thinking of applying for jobs for next academic year in HK. We are both primary teachers and have taught internationally before, with around 10 years experience in the classroom. We have visited HK on numerous occasions but only to shop, sightsee and party. We are at a point in our lives where we are thinking about children so could either have a baby by the time we move there or be thinking about trying once settled in HK for a few years. My questions are:

    A. How much would a nanny cost to look after said child whilst we are at work?
    B. How easy is it to move to HK with a baby/young child? I know we would get some discounts on schooling.
    C. What is the maternity like in terms of length in HK or does this vary school by school? Not that we would accept a job and get pregnant right away but it is good to know for future reference.
    D. What are the costs of having a baby in HK? I know a lot of countries charge thousands to give birth as it is mostly through private medical care.

    If anyone is in/has been in a similar situation a DM would be much appreciated as we would like to gather as much information as possible before making such a huge decision. Many Thanks. :)
  2. clovispoint

    clovispoint Occasional commenter

    A. ~$4500 a month plus food allowance, health insurance etc. All in, not likely more than $6000. However, you need to have somewhere for them to live, so renting a larger flat which is a hidden cost. They can live out (illegally and in poor conditions) which costs upwards of $1500 per month.

    B. Easy. Some schools offer free places, others subsidise. between 30-80% of fees. Some fees are much higher than others and the salaries aren't that different so this can be a significant perk.

    C. Not good news here. 10 weeks. Can be extended at school's discretion but you will not be paid.

    B. Up to you. Government system has excellent clinical care and costs next to noithing. Or you can go to a private hospital and pay tens of thousands of dollars (or go to the Matilda and have a baby in hotel conditions and pay for the privilege).
    StrangePanda and worlo24 like this.
  3. StrangePanda

    StrangePanda Occasional commenter

    I think one of the main questions that you should consider is whether your wife would be ok with returning to work after ten weeks. If not, then another year in the UK (if that is where you are) might be a good idea.

    If you decide to go ahead and have a baby in HK, there are definite bonuses. It is possible to employ a full time, live in 'helper' who can take care of all the cooking and cleaning while you concentrate on the baby. Depending on where you work, the work-life balance can be so much better than the UK, so when you are at home you have much more time to devote to enjoying the company of your baby.

    Life here is also great for kids: there are lots of sporting opportunities, beaches and the interactions with a wide range of cultures are hugely enriching.

    As clovispoint says, the government facilities have an excellent reputation and I know of people who have left hospital after a C-section, and the requisite after-care, who have payed very small sums.
    worlo24 likes this.
  4. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    Personally, if I was going to have another baby, I'd be looking at it being born in Ireland so it had an Irish (and therefore EU) passport - but that's another discussion for a different forum!

    The old argument about moving with dependents does apply here. It really depends on what your wife wants to do after the baby has arrived - does she intend to return to work or not? If she does, then you might be better having the baby in the UK (or Ireland) and applying for jobs abroad from there. If not, then it might be better for you both to move out now, work for a couple of years, then have the baby (either there or in the UK - I know people who have flown home to do that because of the family support, leaving partner to fly out once baby arrives) - the reason I say that is because the school is more likely to be accommodating in adding her and the baby to the health insurance if you are already there, but applying with two trailing dependents will make you a less appealing candidate.
    worlo24 likes this.

Share This Page