1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong situation

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by CaraShaldon, Nov 20, 2019.

1. CaraShaldon

CaraShaldon New commenter

How is day to day life in Hong Kong for teachers at the moment? It seems schools have reopened, but I’d be very interested to hear thoughts on how teachers are currently affected.

Thank you.

2. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

Difficult to answer: teachers based in the thick of it are having very different experiences to those a little further away.

As far as our school is concerned, we are trying to be 'business as usual'. After the chaos and disruption and tension of last week, this seems to be quite welcome to parents, kids and teachers alike. There is still the possibility that it could flare-up again, without much warning.

We go put less than we used to and are a little bit more mindful about keeping some extra food in the house (there were some issues with supplies last week).

3. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

Life is not back to normal. There looks to be no defined end to protests. I feel there is a hiatus for the upcoming elections and then there will be a resumption.

Transport has been massively disrupted. It continues to be by random acts of defiance. Someone hitting the emergency door on a train messes the whole system up, this was happening repeatedly yesterday. Numerous roads are blocked, one of the three tunnels under the harbour included. Junctions have traffic lights smashed out. Malls have been destroyed and will be closed for months for repairs, Pavements have been torn up. The populace live in fear of the (now) hated police. There is real groundswell of support for change and strong feeling of oppression. The government's line has been to crack down harder and harder which has resulted in fierce push back. I'm not sure how much footage you've seen but the police use of their weaponry has been very indisciplined and arbitrary. There is no acknowlegdement of the police abuses and no move to investigate incidents. This has angered people and there is a total reversal in the attitude to HK's police who were widely viewed as Asia's best police force. Their reputation has been destroyed.

HK was an easy place to live in terms of freedom and ease of movement. You could leave your house any time and be sure of getting to, and returning from, your destination easily. This is no longer the case and you need to plan ahead.

This is a massive and rapid shift away from how life was and has really shaken people's faith in their future here. It is deeply upsetting and worrying.

4. CaraShaldon

Thank you for this.

I am moving there soon. I got the job a while ago before the situation escalated. It sounds like a different place to when I visited in June, even though protests were happening at this time too.

Are some teachers looking to move out of HK?

Thank you.

5. clovispoint

HK is a great city and has been an easy place to live. You will have seen why it's good if you've visited. The fundamentals are the same but life has become much more challenging. Hopefully, this is temporary, I want to stay.

I think the disturbances it will have tipped people who were thinking about going over the edge.

6. CaraShaldon

Thanks. I'm still going to go. I've visited many times, and have always loved it.

clovispoint likes this.
  7. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

I think it varies depending on where you live and where you work but I travel 1hr 30mins to work and have only been delayed on 2 occasions in the least 6 months. I get out a lot but again have only seen protestors on one occasion and nothing much was happening. So no big deal as far as I am concerned,

I don’t know of any teachers leaving because of it. My wife is Principal of 2 Kindergartens and again no leavers.

8. clovispoint

Thankfully, things have settled down and normality is returning. The election results have sent a very strong signal that the silent majority is on the side of protestors (rioters are a different matter).

You have been remarkably fortunate to have avoided delay! Virtually every major transit point has been affected, one of the three cross harbour tunnels has been closed with knock on delays for rerouted traffic. The MTR has been closing early and running less frequently. Are you on a bicycle? :)

I don't think the protests have directly made anyone I know resign either. However, the protests have been the thing that has tipped the balance for several people but they were already considering making the move. This has been the final nudge.

Here's hoping for a peaceful December.

9. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

MTR shuttling at 11.30pm, or even 10pm doesn’t really affect getting home from work. Cross harbour tunnel only affects car drivers generally. Ferries still running. Not noticed any real difference in the frequency of trains.

but yes, good to have a little peace at the mo. Hope it continues but also hope people will still keep pushing the government to honour the original agreement.

10. clovispoint

You obviously don't take the bus! Reduction in frequency of trains has had impacts on crowding on platforms and trains. I'm assuming you live on an outlying island? Most of HK has been massively disrupted so you have been very fortunate.

The early closure of the MTR is a subtle curfew.

11. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

Live on Ma Wan and teach in TKO so a long commute - ferry/MTR or Bus/MTR depending on time of day and my mood. I also travel a lot at weekends, days off (I'm part time) but I have only had a couple of minor disruptions. Yes, maybe I've just been lucky. My wife commutes from Ma Wan to Kowloon Tong and again no real issues.