1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong, Singapore or KL

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jw0341, Jan 7, 2019.

1. jw0341

jw0341 New commenter

Hi all!

Looking for advice from some fellow teachers with some experience to offer!
    I am a single female in my late 20s currently teaching at a great school in KL. I've made good friends at the school, but my life very much revolves around people at work and I find meeting anyone new in KL very difficult (especially when it comes to dating). I am considering a move to either Singapore or Hong Kong as I hear the expat community is bigger, there is more going on in these cities and meeting people is a little easier...
    Any advice anyone could give would be much appreciated!

Thank you :)

(I have spent a lot of time looking through the threads on these cities but would love to hear what people have to say based on my situation).

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Swings and roundabouts, really.
    Social life may be a little more developed in Sings or HK, but the work expectations are definitely much higher. So will there be time to get out more than you do now?
    KL has a pretty good expat scene. Maybe cast your net into a few unexplored areas and see what happens?

3. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Being a single female in Asia is challenging. No matter where you go in Asia, it’ll be challenging socially outside of school.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

totally agree with the above. it doesn't matter where you go. international schools all over the world are filled with single female teachers.

5. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

It seems that many young female teachers have a great social life but that it mainly revolves around other young female teachers. The pool of expat men is small and men seem to be more willing to date outside of the expat 'talent pool'. This very much reduces the available men. I've worked with many single female teachers who end up moving back to their home country seeking a partner as their options are so limited and their time to meet a partner and start a family becomes an imperative.

Of course, there are single female teacher who arrive and find someone. Locations with a bigger expat population do offer more opportunities but I do not think it is ever easy if you only want to become involved with other expats.

6. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

I moved to KL as a single woman in my late 20s, and spent a lot of time on Tinder meeting new people.... After having some fun I met a lovely local guy, who I'm about to marry and have a baby with!

So yeah I agree it can be hard meeting people but sometimes you have to expand your horizons to meet the right one. I'm not sure I would move country/job purely to meet a guy though!

mermy likes this.
  7. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Occasional commenter

I have a couple of single friends who live in Singapore - they report that the (expat) dating scene is brutal. A relatively small pool of single people living in a fast-paced, competitive environment apparently doesn't make for a relaxed and successful place to meet potential romantic partners!

8. natalie_powell2

natalie_powell2 New commenter

I moved from KL after 6 years to HK. Definitely a great move!! Just make sure you get a good school and package because the cost of living is ridiculous compared to KL, but doable and lots of fun, and will tick all the boxes Kl lacks. Good luck!