1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong and TEFEL

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by BrightonBoy, Nov 21, 2018.

1. BrightonBoy

BrightonBoy New commenter

Hi Folks - I had a great time teaching in HK many years ago when a TEFEL was not a prerequisite. A younger colleague is interested in following in my footsteps but has noticed that to fall into the "Category 1" teachers in HK you need to have a TEFEL qualification. There are of course "lower" categories which don't require a TEFEL but we were just wondering would his chances of recruitment be greatly reduced i.e. do many "Category 2" or lower applicants have much success in HK these days as regards securing a position? My younger colleague is an excellent teacher of 6 years and is currently head of KS3. Any advice gratefully received - thank-you very much!

2. BrightonBoy

BrightonBoy New commenter

TEFL!!!! Goodness I'm so tired and it's only Wednesday.

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

We have never taught in HK but have interviewed with a number of int'l schools and were offered positions that we had to turn down (in the not too distant past). A TEFL qualification was never even a consideration/question. Maybe your younger colleague should inquire about the subject to schools in HK for the most current/first hand information. I did look and saw that the large english organization of int'l schools in HK does not mention TEFL qualification in any of their requirements for openings.

4. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

I think you and your friend know the answer to this already.

If he has his heart set on Hong Kong, he will have to bite the bullet and do a CELTA (there is no such thing as 'a TEFL' by the way. TEFL just means Teaching English as a Foreign Language.) It only takes a month and it will make him more marketable wherever he goes.

5. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

I am surprised that none of the regulars have got in on this question so I will chip in. I have never heard of a TEFL qualification being necessary for a mainstream teaching role in any kind of Hong Kong school, let alone Cat 1 or 2 (whatever that means?). The level of English proficiency in HK has always been so high that it is/was unnecessary. It may be that as the number of mainland Chinese is increasing and as the number of expat students declines this will become necessary as has happened elsewhere in China but not at the moment. I have certainly noticed that the level of English spoken by service industry workers has declined over the last ten years or so, maybe this too will be reflected in the schools?

6. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

To fall under Category 1 or 2 in the NET scheme pay scale you do need a TEFL qualification- as stipulated here. They are unnecessary to teach in international schools but would not hurt your application. You can teach English in many tutor schools with limited qualifications.

sabrinakat likes this.
  7. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

That explains it then!

8. aislingmcdnl86

aislingmcdnl86 New commenter

As someone living and working in HK, a TEFL is often require,but it depends on the level of qualification.
    Is this person already a qualified teacher with a recgnoised qualification? If so, then this teaching requirement would be enough to get a job in a school, depending on recruitment of course. I think the categories you are referring to are for the NET scheme, whereby he would have to interview to get into the scheme and once in it then find a job. It is a way of making quite a lot of money if you are planning to stay for years. That is not a necessary precursor however. Education is big business here and there are many schools to work in-local, ESF, Imternational, etc.
    If he does not have a recognised teaching qualification and is coming here to work in local schools or in a learning centre then the TEFL is more often than not a prerequisite. This is most often used for visa purposes, to validate why the job has not been given to a local person.