1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong 2018

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ckelly42, Jan 15, 2018.

1. ckelly42

ckelly42 New commenter

Hello all,

Would be very interested in connecting with any teachers who are moving to Hong Kong this summer! There are two new schools opening - 1 of which I will be working at. However, it'd be nice to connect with anyone from either of the schools as we're all heading on the same journey! If you are moving to work at another one of the more established schools in Hong Kong please feel free to connect too!

Not long to go now and it'll be nice to know some people! Comment on this thread or message me if you'd prefer.

Best of luck & I look forward to hearing from you.

2. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

Congratulations! Hong Kong is an excellent place to live and work. Enjoy all that it has to offer, from the bustling centre to the islands, beaches and hikes. If you have any questions, let me know.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Great food, lots of countryside not so far away, terrific travel opportunities, hard-working students, amazing shopping and living in a shared broom-cupboard. Enjoy.

4. ckelly42

ckelly42 New commenter

Are you currently living in Hong Kong? Would you mind sending me a message?

5. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

Hi, yes: PM sent.

6. claire_k

claire_k New commenter

Hello,

I'm also moving to Hong Kong in summer! It will be my first international teaching post. SO excited! Would be great to chat.

StrangePanda likes this.
  7. lifeinthe852

lifeinthe852 New commenter

Also in HK if anyone has any questions :) Happy to help as it's a crazy time when you first arrive!

8. gremlin86

gremlin86 New commenter

Hi,

What is life like for families in HK?What are the packages generally like?

Thanks

9. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

gremlin86 likes this.
  10. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Hong Kong is fantastic. What a result for you! Enjoy.

Why do people stay in ker-rappy jobs in ker-rappy schools in ker-rappy counties like the UK when there is a magnificient world out there to live in? I just don't get it.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  11. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Hush, @binaryhex - we don't want them all out here!

Seriously though - I have friends who would, they say, love to make the move but there are always reasons why they can't. Family responsibilities, lifestyle, partner wouldn't consider it, not the right time for the kids, etc, etc - I think they know deep down that if they really wanted it, they could do it and these are simply excuses. Means they don't want to do it enough to overcome these objections (more job options for us!).

And there are negatives - I don't have a home base any more, my future is uncertain (exciting but uncertain). I do think I have missed out on meaningful long term friendships in some way - many acquaintances few deep friendships. When family issues do crop up you are miles from being able to get there, missed my mother's funeral and will be missing my sister's wedding later this year.

You make your own bed - it's one I am very happy to lie in but hey in Korea people like ondol beds, in US memory foam mattresses - horses for courses.

Xtinelove likes this.
  12. bluebird39

bluebird39 New commenter

Hi,

Congratulations on your new positions! Can I ask which agencies/websites you used to secure your positions?

How did you go about your research?

Thanks

13. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

You can just google it and apply through the schools website.
    Recruitment is pretty much done and dusted now for next year though.

14. jersey2001

jersey2001 New commenter

Hi All,
    Can anyone advise if the ESF schools are a good option? Also, is it a family friendly place and do the salaries offered/ cost of living match up? Is there potential to save a little?
    Thanks in advance for any advice/ ideas,
    :)

15. dumbbells66

lottee1000 likes this.
  16. Redparrotfish

Redparrotfish New commenter

The UK is a fantastic country. There are many great schools to teach in especially outside of the cities. There are far too many teachers in IT who are running away and it shows. Go abroad for an adventure, for new experiences but don't be so rude about the place you were born ,many people are grateful for the chance to move there.

17. linboyuan

linboyuan New commenter

I've thought about moving to HK but am put off with my pre-conceived ideas that everything is so expensive and accommodation is tiny and extremely overpriced. How accurate is this?

18. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

It is not too wide of the mark. It all depends how you choose to live. You can rent more cheaply and have more space but need to live further from the city or have less space. You can eat cheaply if you go to local restaurants. Not everything is expensive but you need to put the work in to find out the best place to buy what you want. Things are expensive but you are paid more, the salaries are high because of the high costs here.

linboyuan likes this.
  19. lifeinthe852

lifeinthe852 New commenter

Things are crazy expensive when you are moving from the UK though. Yes, there are cheaper options but its relative to the very high cost - so instead of 6GBP for a small block of cheese, you can get it for 3GBP if you know where to go (Uselect). Groceries are twice to four times the price of the UK here. Generally, life is very, very expensive here. Our rent for a 3 bedroom, 1000 sq ft apartment in a good area, off HK Island, is 2,900GBP per month plus bills. If you're moving with a family, you really need two incomes. Just my tuppence-worth.

clovispoint likes this.
  20. dumbbells66

Its a rookie mistake to compare everything to back home. Yes things are going to be different, for example, if i actual had to pay rent where i am i would be paying around $6000 a month for a 2 bed apartment...but i dont, the school does. Remember, even if you are paying more for certain things, you are no longer being paid the terrible money you were in the UK. its all relative, unless you are very unlucky you will be doing significantly better on the international circuit than in the UK.

Xtinelove likes this.