1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Honesty, Is there such a thing as a Designer Baby?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by shakes1616, Jul 2, 2020.

1. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

Do people really design their own babies? Just wondering really chuckle

2. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

I have red hair. So do both my daughters, and they are beautiful. Why in these days of most people trying to properly examine views on race do you still think that comment is witty or funny?

3. shakes1616

Yeh and I was too. Looked a bit like Ashkenazy lol. Put on weight now though during this bloomin Plandemic to make Gates and Fauci millions lol.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

5. shakes1616

Ashkenazy if you didnt know was a Russian pianist with a big concorde shaped nose. But the women in Russia are all well fit and beautiful. But I dont know why. Do you?

6. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

Gingers have nothing to do with race.

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Eh?
    Ginger (your term) is an external physical attribute endowed by birth and not relating to endeavour or morals or skill or achievement or even just exisiting, and is prominent enough to form a visual descriptor of a person and can thereby be used as an attribute to feed into evaluative judgement of that person, which is frequently not contested in the name of concensus, thereby rendering flawed thinking socially acceptable, and constituting a major yet preventable source of injustice and hurt to those who carry that attribute.
    Do you see where I am going...?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Flowersinspring and eleanorms like this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My daughter is a red-head. And a middle child.

eleanorms likes this.
  9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

My son's got dark blond hair but a red beard.

The process of sexual reproduction makes it impossible to design your own baby. You can conceive, try to acquire a DNA sample without causing miscarriage, check if it's got the desired sex, height, hair colour, build, no detectable genetic defects (sorry, intelligence, mental stability and a nice nature are not apparent by DNA analysis) and abort it if not. And this of course happens.
    But you can't design it from scratch.

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Still is, and a conductor, athough he retired earlier this year. His recorded performances have enriched my life.

11. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

Warning : about to lower the tone with the serious side of this question..........

Designer babies ie the idea that people will one day be able to design a baby with chosen eye colour, beauty or other traits, is often used as an argument against genetic research into diseases which result in short lives for affected children.

Anyone on here who watches Coronation Street will be aware that 3 year old Oliver has just been handed a death sentence in the form of Mitochondrial Disease.

"Designer Research" (as some opposed groups saw it) has led to huge strides in trying to predict and prevent some forms of Mitochondrial Disease (below) but met with a huge amount of opposition along the way from such groups as Pro Life.

Mitochondrial donation is a relatively new reproductive option that may be suitable for families with mitochondrial disease caused by a genetic mistake in the mitochondrial DNA.

Mitochondrial donation is a novel IVF procedure. It uses eggs from both a healthy donor and a woman with mitochondrial disease. The nuclear DNA is removed from the donor egg and replaced with the nuclear DNA from the egg containing faulty mitochondrial DNA. The egg is then fertilised in the lab using the father’s sperm. This means that any future child will have the nuclear DNA from both parents (and so be genetically related to both the mother and father) but with a much lower risk of mitochondrial disease due to the healthy mitochondrial DNA from the donor egg. It is this combination of DNA from three people that led to the term ‘three-person baby’ that is often used to describe the technique.

The law was changed in the UK in March 2015 to allow the use of mitochondrial donation. The Lily Foundation, along with mitochondrial patients and their families, were instrumental in this law change. For more information on the history of mitochondrial donation, click here.

The use of mitochondrial donation is highly regulated in the UK and requires that every person who wishes to use the technique is granted approval by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA). The Newcastle Fertility Clinic at Life (Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust) is currently the only fertility clinic in the UK that is licensed to perform the technique.

Ref: https://www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk/get-informed/mitochondrial-reproductive-options/

I only wish that research had been so advanced 30+ years ago when this condition cost my five year old her life and could have cost the life of any other child my husband and I had.

12. eleanorms

You use a word which you intend to be derogatory, based simply on a particular genetic characteristic which you deem to be unattractive.
    You deliberately used that word twice. Are you actually a teacher? Do you stand in front of a class and think less of some of the children in front of you because they have red hair? Do you think it would be better if they were not alive or had not been born? Because that is actually what you are saying. I'm sure I remember other people in history with that mentality. Do you perhaps think the same of children with Bengali heritage or black skin? Are you actually an educated professional?

nizebaby likes this.
  13. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

Sorry if I offended anyone. No I don't victimise children, based on their hair colour. (Football team, sometimes).

Actually, I always opened my classroom at lunch when I taught in the UK and acted as a 'sanctuary' for all of the schools vulnerable students at lunch time.

They were all lovely, but some were tiring, especially on a Friday when I had my worst class of the week directly after lunch!

I used to date a 'ginger' btw. I guess that is kinda like saying 'I have black friends' when a race argument starts.....(I do btw). ;)

14. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

Youngest trekette is a redhead and he has had abuse because of the colour of his hair ... not amusing or witty. :mad:

eleanorms likes this.
  15. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

I am genuinely sickened at this comment you have replied to.

My son, beautifully ginger and has ringlets too if it grows, is worried sick about potential bullying at his new high school purely because of his hair colour. My daughter, stunningly ginger, auburn, golden-haired, has been verbally abused on her own by a car full of brainless ****** who shouted our, "Ginger," to her. She was 13. Idiots.

I cannot believe people like that poster even think it's vaguely amusing to make such comments.

eleanorms likes this.
  16. Flowersinspring

Just stop digging. You're making yourself look silly.

Trekkie and eleanorms like this.
  17. Flowersinspring

Oh my God-my hackles are rising. :mad: Daughter has had the same. I would LOVE her hair.

Trekkie and eleanorms like this.
  18. eleanorms

When she is older, direct her to Game of Thrones (books not TV!) where Ygritte, played in the TV show by the gorgeous Rose Leslie, is described as 'kissed by fire'.
    I was teased a lot as a child, but my girls have grown up in a very, very mixed cultural town. It doesn't matter what religion, name or skin colour you have here, no one bats an eye. They have never heard a single peep.

19. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

My boy too!

School had rule that hair could be no longer than collar length but those curls made it appear much shorter than it was.:D Sadly, he felt the need to dye his hair for many years... :(

20. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter