1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Honestly? Well...

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by cwilson1983, Apr 15, 2016.

1. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

tutor hunt charge the student / parent for the release of the tutor's details. The tutor does not pay anything. First tutors and UK tutors work in the same way but UK tutors split the fee into two bits and , in my opinion, I do not think they make this clear to the student / parent so I clarify this before I take them on.
    There are "agency" type websites where they charge a fee to the tutor for every lesson but I couldn't name or recommend any of these as I would not touch them with a barge pole

2. Ian1983

Ian1983 Occasional commenter

I've added up the number of hours I'd need per week to provide an annual income (including the quiet holiday periods) and it's at least 20 hours per week (not taking tax into account).

20 lessons per week as an average over the course of a year is fairly tough. I'm on around 30 at the moment but that's only because exams are looming.................by mid June, I'll be lucky to get 5-10!

Vehicle graphics and the local Facebook groups are good forms of advertising.

3. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

I meant that I'd aim to work 20 hours per week for 39 weeks to provide a monthly income that would also cover the holiday periods when I'd assume tuition work would dry up.

4. Ian1983

Ian1983 Occasional commenter

Got you. That's much more achievable then. The Easter holidays and the summer half term are both very valuable earning weeks as well assuming you're willing to work them.

5. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

Just thought I'd update:

Thanks to everyone for their replies and advice.

In the end, I didn't have to have "the conversation" as I found that our schedule kept clashing. Tuition sessions became sporadic and I tactfully suggested to the parent that seeking a less busy tutor would be better for her child (consistency etc).

Suffice to say, the parent jumped at the chance.

I know I should have shared my concerns with her, if only to prevent the next tutor suffering the same issues. It's easier said than done though and yes, I am a wimp.

Strange of me though because I have been very forthright with parents (in a person) in the past.