1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Honest and blunt answer please Theo!!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rebeccafound, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Hi
    Im on UPS1, been doing supply bits for last 3 years inbetween having second child. Had first child in 2007 and left last permanent post as wished to have time at home, plus unhappy there as working with a Teacher to jobshare a class who let children run wild hence when I came in for two days all behaviour was dire again. Spoke to Head about this but said you leave or put up with poor other Teacher. I left. Thats the support I got. But have honestly not regretted the great time i have had with child and now with second and last child.
    Problem is now I am trying to get into Early Years Teaching. I have not had a class of Foundation Children in previous job before having children (8years - year 3,4,1) but taught in these classes now and then recently. There is a job Id love advertised at the moment, but what chances do Ihave with just bits of teaching EYFS and raising my own young children?? I did go for a job there part time 3 years ago and got an interview but did not get the job, did not fully answer the questions well enough. The school since then went into special measures and now has got into being 'good'I know I could do the job, its ideal for me. I am a very good Teacher, but dont have super great references in Foundation, only one which does not say a lot about planning as only Supply. Should I contact my last Head for a reference from 2007? (He retired a year after I left) Where I initiated a lot of whole school subjects, behaviour, Music, etc but not in Foundation? Or will school consider my raising of a family and only a year out before I went back to doing supply good enough for a possible chance of interview? Specification for job is knowing about skill based curriculum? Any advice here? Also, I looked round the school 3 years ago regarding the previous part time job in Foundation, would it worth looking around it again to show my interest or would they already regard me unsuitable as I did not get the last job?
    Bottom line is Theo, I have much to offer still as a Teacher, just took time out for a family and wishing to go back to it. But wonder if I have a chance as knowledge of Foundation not understandably that great as had time out of the classroom. (supply has been once every fortnight, usually year one/ Foundation. But that is supply work at the moment - little to go around!)
    Thanks!

2. Hi
    Im on UPS1, been doing supply bits for last 3 years inbetween having second child. Had first child in 2007 and left last permanent post as wished to have time at home, plus unhappy there as working with a Teacher to jobshare a class who let children run wild hence when I came in for two days all behaviour was dire again. Spoke to Head about this but said you leave or put up with poor other Teacher. I left. Thats the support I got. But have honestly not regretted the great time i have had with child and now with second and last child.
    Problem is now I am trying to get into Early Years Teaching. I have not had a class of Foundation Children in previous job before having children (8years - year 3,4,1) but taught in these classes now and then recently. There is a job Id love advertised at the moment, but what chances do Ihave with just bits of teaching EYFS and raising my own young children?? I did go for a job there part time 3 years ago and got an interview but did not get the job, did not fully answer the questions well enough. The school since then went into special measures and now has got into being 'good'I know I could do the job, its ideal for me. I am a very good Teacher, but dont have super great references in Foundation, only one which does not say a lot about planning as only Supply. Should I contact my last Head for a reference from 2007? (He retired a year after I left) Where I initiated a lot of whole school subjects, behaviour, Music, etc but not in Foundation? Or will school consider my raising of a family and only a year out before I went back to doing supply good enough for a possible chance of interview? Specification for job is knowing about skill based curriculum? Any advice here? Also, I looked round the school 3 years ago regarding the previous part time job in Foundation, would it worth looking around it again to show my interest or would they already regard me unsuitable as I did not get the last job?
    Bottom line is Theo, I have much to offer still as a Teacher, just took time out for a family and wishing to go back to it. But wonder if I have a chance as knowledge of Foundation not understandably that great as had time out of the classroom. (supply has been once every fortnight, usually year one/ Foundation. But that is supply work at the moment - little to go around!)
    Thanks!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Help!
    A long post with loads of questions buried in the middle - un-numbered questions!
    Help, help!
    Do my best to try and find them to reply . . .
    Q1 Difficult to say, but two things are in your favour - producing a stunning application through following all my advice, and the upsurge in EYFS through demographic changes over last few years.
    Q2 You will need 2 references, and he certainly can talk about the quality of your preparation, assessment, classroom management and teaching - with specific reference to progress of children, as well as your overall contribution to the life of the school.
    Q3 That doesn't matter.
    Q4 They might if you present yourself and your skills well
    Q5 There is a question mark but no question as far as I can see. Perhaps you are speaking in one of those Australian accents where the voice rises at the end of the sentence.
    Q6 Google it, look it up on the TES Website, look on DfE and TDA websites for starters.
    Q7 and Q8 together in one sentence. Q7 Yes. Q8 No, I shouldn't think so.
    Well!
    I hope you can make more sense of the answers than I sometimes could of the questions!
    I think that my main advice is two-fold:
    a) read and follow my advice. Start here: Thinking of going for a new post. Should the app form be submitted in blocks?
    b) stop panicking! This post sounds like a panic, but there is no need for one, is my guess. I further guess that you will realise exactly how much you have to offer once you sit down calmly and do your executive summary against the appointment criteria.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com