1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Homework that has an impact

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrcooldude, Jul 19, 2017.

1. mrcooldude

mrcooldude New commenter

We're looking to reshape the homework we send home. At the moment, we use mathletics, expect 20 minutes of reading a day and send home weekly spellings. The reading and the spelling seems managable and appears to be making an impact (although we're always looking at better ways to set this) but we're currently not making the most out of maths homework.

What do you all do and how do you know it has an impact on the children's learning (not just maths but all homework)?
    Do any of you use the pre and post teach model for homework?

2. chickenlady4

chickenlady4 New commenter

I use TTRockstars as homework. At the start of the year I set at least 20/30 games a week and reduce to 10 games by March. We see their response time to times table halve over the course of a year and average around 1-2 sec per question on the computer. The benefits are seen in the ability to work out equivalent fractions etc as well as their times table tests. Most can complete 100 questions (written) using the division facts and decimals too, in less than 3 minutes.
    For English we often use 100 word challenge and encourage them to use ALL the punctuation. They write it on the blog. Other homeworks include research that we can use in following lessons. Grammar is another quick thing - the word classes of all words in 2 or 3 sentences. I don't really like homework (I had 4 children so 4 homeworks were tortuous). Now number facts are really important, I find that it is beneficial to use homework to consolidate these and the more mundane repetition is a good use of home time.

3. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

Depending on your intake it might be worth checking that all of your students have access to a device at home to use mathletics. Not only that they have a device, that they have regular internet connection,and in large families that they are given time to use it (sometimes older siblings are given priority/hog the thing!).
    You might find that you need to give some time for this in school/set up an afterschool club for children who don't.

mrcooldude likes this.
  4. mrcooldude

mrcooldude New commenter

This is really interesting. I'll look into it.

5. mrcooldude

mrcooldude New commenter

The majority do have access to the internet. We find it's chasing up those who don't do it the hardest thing.

Lara mfl 05 and galerider123 like this.
  6. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

Getting them to use (at least some of) their spellings in a sentence increases the chance of them using them in their writing and focuses attention on correct grammar. Higher ability children can be asked to write complex sentences or sentences with a specific grammar construct that they have just learnt (if it is appicable to the spellings). So if you give out 12 spellings, you would ask them to write a sentence each for at least 6 of them. They can write them on the back of their spelling sheet.
    Don't allow, " Cautiously means to do something in a cautious way," sort of sentences...they need to show that they understand its meaning and can use the word in a different context.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. mrcooldude

mrcooldude New commenter

Thanks for this!

galerider123 likes this.
  8. ninabaines5

ninabaines5 New commenter

I hated doing homework being a student :)

9. ashleysummer

ashleysummer New commenter

10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I don't there are many homework tasks that actually have an impact on learning (in a positive way at least).

lardylady likes this.
  11. mrcooldude

mrcooldude New commenter

What sorts? Daily reading and weekly spelling seems to be effective for us so far.

12. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I wouldn't call reading homework. It's just something that should be done. I agree in its value.

Spellings. Maybe.

It's more the 'proper' homework tasks that I'm not really a huge fan of.

13. Pencilplayground

Pencilplayground New commenter

Have you heard of a homework journal? You set out 'we have been learning/ we will be learning'...

Then you suggest 4 tasks they can do to show you what they have learnt or to bring to the next lesson eg. Explain how addition is different from subtraction. Create addition word problems. Roll a dice 3 times and add the numbers together etc.

Whereas Literacy might be: research facts about the Stone Age, draw a picture of the Stone Age boy adding adjectives, write a description of a Stone Age mammoth. Etc.

Children choose the activity or activities they would like to do. The challenge is to fill the page with learning.