1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Homework policy. Not doing homework

Discussion in 'Primary' started by summlard, Aug 24, 2015.

1. summlard

summlard New commenter

what do you do (or your school dictates you must do) in order to encourage children to complete homework? What do you do when children don't hand it in?

I've done the missing break thing. I've done the earning extra break/rewards/prizes.

2. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

If you don't hand your homework in, you do it at playtime. Homework is done and a penalty has been paid.

Job done.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

What is the school homework policy?

4. summlard

summlard New commenter

The school policy is that each teacher has their own rules on this ATM.

I never like "punishing" for things that aren't in my control.

5. Msz

And often they can be outside the child's control ...if rewards for those children who do complete homework don't motivate perhaps there are home issues preventing child complying.

If. You're sure that's not the case you could try peer pressure - reward if whole class hand in homework ?

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I loathe homework for a number of reasons and hate punishing children who haven't completed it. Some of these children don't have a book in their house or have parents who show no interest in what their child does, yet I'm going to punish them for not doing something that serves very little purpose.

7. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

What age do you teach? For upper KS2 I would use Jeremyinspain's approach. It's not a punishment, it's a choice: the child needs to complete homework in his/her own time, which can be at home or during break time at school. If there are home issues that prevent homework being done at home, it's good to offer an opportunity to do it at school. (This is assuming that homework is being set because it is important for the child's learning and not doing it will lead to him/her falling behind.)

For younger years, I think praise and rewards are the best approach. Perhaps you could have a way of displaying who has handed in their homework - pupils could move their name onto a board when they hand in their books, for example - so those who will receive the reward are visible.

Another idea is to make the homework directly linked to work you do in class. How you could do this obviously depends on the year group and the type of homework - if they'd been set a comprehension exercise, for example, you could then do a quick quiz in class to see what had been remembered and understood from the passage. It would give homework a 'point' - if you don't do it, you won't do well in the quiz - which is good for motivation (think how much homework, aka revision, gets done immediately before exams!).

Or you could mark homework in class. A bit boring for those with nothing to mark, but if you did it as a session with explanations (eg. "Yes, the answer is 10. Who can explain how they got that answer?") then those who didn't have an opportunity to do the homework could still learn from it. And it would be a good way for you to see who got the answers because Dad helped and who actually understood what they were doing.

8. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

If homework is perceived to be of "very little purpose" by the teacher who sets it, is it any wonder that some children choose not to do it?

9. Milgod

I'm happy to be swayed. Just let me know what vital purpose it serves.

10. princess77

princess77 New commenter

I try to create homework activities the children will enjoy doing most weeks such as times tables games. If they haven't done it I don't punish them. There is some time first thing in the morning where children can complete their homework if they didn't do it at home and it's usually linked to little parental support. At that time I can help them or explain what they need to do. I praise children who have put effort into their homework at home.

11. Msz

Research shows that homework in primary "does not lead to a large increase in learning"

a potential benefit is if it leads to greater parental support/engagement

12. Milgod

Reading. Now there's something I actively encourage. Good for parental engagement and helps the children in school and life.

13. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I stopped setting homework tasks last autumn (beyond expecting daily reading, 10 spellings a week and times-tables to be learned) when the SMT cut all the classroom teachers' printing and photocopying allowance to 1 A4 sheet per child per day. I could think of so many more important things to print off.

I now love the fact I don't have to chase missing work, or spend my evenings marking scrappy sheets. No one has said anything about this, not children, parents, colleagues - nor the SMT, who still somehow seem to have unlimited printing and copying rights and can print out report deadline reminders and sheets showing data and progress in A3 and in colour.

After all, it's all about the children...

14. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i give them 3 easy, 3 medium and 3 hard tasks to do related to the topic. they choose one of each and have all half term to do it. means doing some research and reading, making or drawing, a bit of writing, asking questions... they like it and generally get it done. mostly because they like the topic. being able to choose what they do helps a lot.

15. The majority of primary school children should not be held responsible for doing homework. It is their parents' affair and they are mostly too young, and not independent enough to decide differently. If there was research that demonstrated that homework was of benefit to primary school pupils I would perhaps take a different view but I never complain about homework not done. The kids who do it get a sticker, the kids who don't, it is probably not their fault and they should be punished or lose out because they don't have someone at home helping them out.

16. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

I loathe homework. Aside from spending my time marking activities that serve little educational value, the problems it creates with children who don't do it are just irritating. It is completely out of our control and there are parents who just don't care. For those children we are setting them up to fail on a weekly basis.

17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

If you HAVE to set it ensure it is accessible, relevant and differentiated. I think homework is a blanket term misunderstood by many and abused by most. I think many settings set for the sake( parental mafia ) and then staff spend an inordinate amount of time expending energy on attempting to address the difficulties children who can't / won't present.

18. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I am currently teaching at a school in Shenzhen, just outside Hong Kong. One of the best homeworks I ever set was for my Year 5 class. They had to write a speech, either in favour of having homework or against it. Most of the students worked terrifically hard, but then they are Chinese and so they do not have the disadvantage of having English as their first language.

19. summlard

summlard New commenter

Yea, I think I won't bother with the 'punishments' this year. Just lots of praise and stickers for those that do.

20. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

"Encouraging children to do their homework"? Perhaps we will soon be having posts about "Encouraging children to come to school" and "Persuading students to put their mobile phones away". How about "Suggesting to children that they should get an education"? Or maybe that would be a bit too hard.

Mandarin and English are two langauges that are very different from each other. Nearly all of my Year 5 students speak Mandarin as their first language. I rarely have to remind my students to complete their homework properly and any students who fail to hand it in the next day know that they will be doing it during the breaktime and after lunch. I have never had any complaints from the students or from their parents.