1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Homework...opinions??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by trainee88, Nov 2, 2017.

1. trainee88

trainee88 New commenter

Hi what are people's thoughts on homework in primary schools?? Do you think it's beneficial?

I am a student teacher and recently I am finding that homework that I am setting (year2) is either being done by parents or not at all.

I would love to hear your views on homework

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Established commenter

It is common for parents to do their children's homework!
    Best not to set homework at all.

3. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Set things they like to do, like Show and Tell. That way you tick speaking and listening objectives and can make links to pshe or other topics.

4. Pomza

Pomza Lead commenter

Primary homework = Complete waste of time for children, parents and teachers.

(Apart from reading and times tables which don't really count...)

5. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

Complete, total, absolute, unquestionable waste of teachers' time. Will not in any way at all move children forward or aid their progress. Will just give overworked teachers yet another job to do. If schools expect it to be properly marked, even more inexcusable.
    Just tell the parents to pick up a jolly book and read with their children. Do not understand why this fact is not obvious to every single headteacher in every single school.
    Those are my views on homework. You could always get a stamper that says 'Well done, Mum.'

alexanderosman and TEA2111 like this.
  6. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Pointless :confused::confused::confused:

7. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

But oh so popular with parents so not going away anytime soon.

8. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

I think that I did about 7 lots of homework in my entire time at primary school...and that was because I volunteered to do something extra at home..it was never set by the teachers. I did, however, love reading and read every single night. We learnt out times tables by rote at school.

9. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

Agree with everything said so far - complete waste of your time setting it, but not going to go away because parents love it. So ... make it as low stress for yourself as possible and potentially useful for anyone who is actually going to do it! Never set anything you will need to mark!

10. Pomza

Pomza Lead commenter

Not in my house!

11. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Not in my house!

12. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I would happily have done without any homework, as a parent. Reading, maybe spellings/practising tables.
    In some years, though, the school seemed to have found the solution for keeping the parents who wanted homework quiet. A sheet came home with a very varied list of activities and tasks, all of which were optional, and related to that term's topics. There was then a "homework celebration" towards the end of term, when these were displayed and talked about. I did nothing beyond providing a bit of advice or materials, and sometimes my daughter didn't bother (in which case I didn't go to the celebration). Some pieces clearly were done by parents, but never mind - hopefully something was achieved by parents taking an interest in the term's topic.

13. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

I get no complaints if I forget to set homework or don’t completely follow school policy (eg. Set only one piece not two). If parents are happy their children are making progress, children are happy coming to school and the general organisation in school is good, parents don’t tend to be that bothered. So I really push and am strict about reading, am strict about meeting deadlines and following instructions when homework is set to teach responsibility, but otherwise don’t bother too much.

14. AnxiousElle

AnxiousElle New commenter

As a parent, I really like homework. It gives me a chance to see what my child is learning in school and support them with this at home.

As a member of school staff, I think it depends very much on how and what is set. In upper KS2 it's great practice of their research skills and throughout the school it can help cement (or even pre-teach) some curriculum areas, especially topic-based and discussion pieces.

However, I don't have to mark it... so it's easy for me to say!