1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Homework - lets share and be creative

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bluerose, Jul 25, 2007.

1. shetland-kat

shetland-kat New commenter

ah, now should we be doing it because it 'ticks boxes' or because its more of a worthwhile learning experience for the children???

2. I meant tick boxes in the "what would be best for the children" kind of way, not the "what we're told we should do" kind of way. :)

3. shetland-kat

I will say 'glad to hear it' cos i am!! LOL. Just playing devil's advocate really.

Glad you like all the ideas on this thread. :)

4. Just had my first learning logs returned from my P7. They were fantastic and for once I didn't resent marking. The children loved doing them. They even asked me for their tasks for next week today as they wanted time over the weekend to work on them. What a turn around!

5. shetland-kat

ooh! Fantastic!! Sandsplace, what did you get them to do? Are you covering lots of curric areas or just chose 1 area?

6. C30

C30 New commenter

That's great to hear! Did you limit the amount of space they were able to use? And what tasks did you set? I'm so pleased for you - well done!

7. Gave them 3 tasks. Maths, Topic (structure of the earth) and language. Double spread in an exercise book (not big enough) but chn sooo creative. Had envelopes taped in with fact cards. Little pictures of the earth stuck in which could be pulled out- great stuff.
    Maths related to time so t.v programme questions (from blueroses download). Language - compile a list of words to use instead of 'said.'

Next week - teach someone at home about the structure of the earth. current affairs - watch or read something and report back 5 W's in any format they wish e.g drama; news broadcast, written report, tape or video themselves etc.
    Chn so enthused - it's great to see.

8. shetland-kat

That's brilliant. Are you going to post your journey on learning logs website?

9. you're up early graham!!

10. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to create the booklet Bluerose:)

11. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

anyone using a VLE for homework?

12. Hi guys

I want to get the parents involved with this new approach to homework... I am piloting it in my school this year and then maybe others will be transformed.

I was bored with the old style and want the children to be creative in their learning.

So after watching the new approach on Teacher's TV i wanted to ask you some questions.

I want to invite parents in one evening to show and discuss the new approach.

Would you show them a clip from the Teachers TV site?

I was thinking of creating a Powerpoint presentation to deliver the approach. and what I'm expecting them to do in order to support their children's learning.

How would you deliver it to parents... as it will not be a whole school approach... just my idea to get the children to be creative and enjoy sharing their learning with others at home and in class.

Any advice would be great and any ideas will be more than welcome..

Thanks Skippy x x

13. It is great to hear that people are using learning logs but it would be even nicer if someone, anyone, JUST ONE PERSON would post something to put on the www.learninglogs.co.uk site

14. shetland-kat

I will when i get going with it. I just ordered jotters from Phillip & tacey today.

Kat

15. We hear you learning logs. Will try and do that when homework comes in on Friday. If my computer will play ball.

16. Just adding on to Posts 315 & 316 where a new thread was mentioned. I can see it getting very large when we start adding things we have done. In order to keep learning logs accessible - how about year group ones or subject ones eg

Learning logs - Yr3
    Learning Logs - Literacy

that way you don't have to trawl through all posts.

17. wicked witch

Have just sorted out large plain books to use for homework/learning logs. Danny, when it gets started I will do photos but I don't think anyone can yet (apart from Shetland Kat).

18. shetland-kat

Can i ask that you dont split anything into year groups as i have all the year groups in one class and to me that would be a nightmare!!

If anything is being split, can i request it's by subject.

Wickedwitch - i've not started it yet. Still getting to grips with being back at school, settling in new p1's. Trying to sort out new things that i have not started with homework yet. Will in the next couple of weeks.

We could still keep gathering ideas?!

Bluerose, you've been quiet for a while.

Kat x

19. wicked witch

I really don't know how you cope with all the different ages for normal work, let alone setting homework.