1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Homework - lets share and be creative

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bluerose, Jul 25, 2007.

1. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

Cookery ideas would be good, you could do something on ratio as well under that. It could relate to whatever cookery the class are doing in DT.

2. Thanks for the ideas, watch this space!

3. Threads gone quiet and also note its only a select group who have really made it so fantastic, is this because most are not interested in homework or because it seems so daunting to add to as one or two posters are having some fabulous ideas?
    In case the latter is happening how about if you don't want to post lots of ideas in one go we now look for fun one off activities that a child can do at home with a parent for any subject could be half term project or one night activity. Then maybe others will add to this too. (Doesnt stop those with the great ideas for points and Dinx your maths etc posting too)

eg

1) find x number of things in your home with writing on them, write down what they are, draw them or photograph them
    2) find x number of foods in your cupboards with ml on labels, write down list with how many ml there were or photograph label or draw labels or if grown up says its ok bring label in
    3)either draw a diagram with labels or make a model of a new home for mouse in our story
    4) draw a pirates map for showing hidden treasure

4. Hehe I thought that blue... I have been taking advantage of the sunshine but will be posting some more.

5. What I would love is for someone to send me a homework pack for year 5!!!

Please!!!!
    MrKWLandrum@aol.com

6. shetland-kat

shetland-kat New commenter

a homework pack?

Kat

7. shetland-kat

I was thinking about what to do at home with a digital camera.

1) Take a photo of something from a strange angle and get others to guess what it is

2) take a photo of say, a flower, and load it onto paint. Cut away half the image and re-create the missing part in paint.

3) Insert an image you have taken onto a programme. Remove a section. Print the image then replace the section using pens/pencils/paints/chalks etc

4) Take a portrait photo of someones face. Play with the distorting tools, b/w etc.

5) Use the digital camera to show areas around your house, directions from a-b etc

6) take photos of lots of meaningful things to you in your house. Write underneath explaining what each is.

7) use the camera to show steps in a process e.g. a recipe, making something

Can anyone think of anything else?

Kat

8. shetland-kat

it would be great if people kept on putting down ideas on this thread!

:)

9. kat like that would you be loaning a school camera? Dont think many of ours have one but not sure school ones would always return. What can you do with pictures taken on phones as lots of mums seem to have those but dont think that helps. I know of schools whove loaned cameras when theyve sent a soft toy home

10. shetland-kat

Yeah, phones should also work. The quality is not too bad either. They can be uploaded onto computers at home through cables that come with the phone - i dont know if there is a way to do that at school if they dont have a computer at home.

I could in my setting send a camera home and know that it would come back. Perhaps that is something else for the parent audit - access to a digital camera?

11. i think that would be a good question for questionairre as quite a few of tasks ive added here give photo option as i know weve used our camera here at home for homework a few times. In fact at my kids school 90% parents use photos in the book that comes home with the stuffed toy!! mayeb like me because its easy and fills up space!! See at our school probably a couple would

12. shetland-kat

upping this while i think more!

13. What about a newspaper/magazine/comic type project

Look at the comics, magazines and newspapers in your home. Choose one.

1) collect some headlines/story titles, cut them out or copy them
    2)collect some pictures from your chosen newspaper/magazine/comic- put a caption by each
    3) choose your favourite thing from your chosen newspaper/magazine/comic and draw/write etc about it

4) create your own page for your chosen newspaper/magazine/comic there are some templates in school if you want one

14. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

I like the newspaper ideas Bluerose. I'm always conscious about not discriminating against some of my pupils but those ideas would be accessible to all of them.

15. Yes thats what i was thinking about too

Was thinking must be something could do re TV in same way as most kids have access to that

16. Been on holiday for a week and came back to 60 new messages. Taken me a while to read them all!

I did a maths one with time.

1. Write down the name of a programme you watch tonight.
    2. Write the time it starts and finishes in 12-hour and 24-hour time.
    3. Calculate the length of the programme.
    and so on

The worrying outcome was the number of children who watched programmes starting after 10pm!

17. Just got back from a relaxing weeks holiday. Some fantastic stuff on here - was worried it might be difficulkt to get back into the swing of things, but feeling inspired after reading the posts from over the last week or so. Thanks everbody for all your ideas and inspiration!

18. shetland-kat

19. I will add some more, just taking the opportunity to do some ultra-thorough cleaning, tidying and chucking out while my boys are away at various camps! This house will be clean and tidy if it kills me!

20. Not sure of the best way to word this, but for literacy you could ask pupils to write a letter or post card on relevant subject and then get them to address it and send it into school

A new gas / electric / mobile phone company is promising to reduce all new customers bills by 1/2, how much would your family save?