1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Homework - lets share and be creative

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bluerose, Jul 25, 2007.

1. im thinking we might do both eg half a term on a topic as something special and then weekly ones for other half term. Will see what staff feel before we try anything and probably trial one class maybe after doing some work with parents

2. I can come up with lots more maths ones if you think they are the sort of thing that fits? Wasn't sure if that was the type of thing you were looking for.

3. You have won a competition for a free holiday! You can take 1 other person with you to a destination of your choice for four days. You have been given £200 spending money.

?Choose a place that you would like to go and visit and create a travel journal.
    ?Research your location using the internet and/or information from books, magazines or holiday brochures. Focus on sights you can see and activities you can do during a 4-day visit.
    ?List 3-5 places you would like to see or things you would like to do while at that location. Make a note of how much each will cost.
    ?Add photos, images, pictures and drawings to your travel journal.
    ?Locate your destination on a map.
    ?Plan the best route and method of travel to your destination.
    ?Gather and record data about the weather in your destination.
    ?Make a list of items that you will need to pack for your holiday.
    ?Draw up an itinerary for each day of your holiday.
    ?Design a postcard to send from your holiday destination, with appropriate text and graphics for the weather/climate/location.
    ?What currency is used in your holiday destination? Convert your spending money into that currency. How much will you have?
    ?How much will you spend on different activities? How much money will you have left?

4. shetland-kat

shetland-kat New commenter

dinx i'd love to see lots more maths ones! thanks

And bluerose, i know. Not many people realise we have no trees here. It does take a lot away from what you can do about autumn as they just have no idea about it.

Danny - i recieved the learning log today. Not had a right look through it yet though. Looks very exciting though.

I too would like to do a bit of both - longer term stuff and weekly.

Kat

5. no trees at all!!!

6. Have spent most of the afetrnoon on the website reading and now my eyes are going all goooglly!
    Some fab ideas!

What do you do about the children who don't do their homework, no matter what it is you set them?
    Cheerie x

7. shetland-kat

Pretty much. The odd tree that has been planted in someones garden or a batch that have been specifically grown. But those are few and very far between. I still dont know an oak from an ash or whatever as we just dont have them here.

8. shetland-kat

SEASHORE

Make up a Tongue Twister based on the sea ?She sells sea shells? etc. - Alliteration

Make up a legend ? why sea is salty, why crab has no neck etc

Persuasive writing / poster against pollution

Holiday brochure from plant / creature point of view focussing on rock pool, sand, cliff edge etc.

Make moving books with a sea theme
    - Make a book/poster with hidden areas

Make a 3D model of a seashore creature

Explain the differences between the different types of shores - can use powerpoint/posters etc

If possible, explore a seashore. (Can collect items to make models out of, or make models on beach and take photos etc)

9. LO: To solve problems involving time

Use the television listings from a newspaper, magazine or the internet and create (cut & paste, cut out and stick in, draw a table, etc) a table showing all the programmes on BBC1 from 9.30am until 2.00pm.

-Work out how long each programme lasts (in minutes).
    -Which programme is on television the longest? How long does it last?
    -Which programme is on the shortest? How long does it last?
    -How many programmes last longer than 45 minutes?
    If the first programme overruns by 15 minutes work out the new times that the all the programmes after it will start.

-Using your TV listings guide, find out at what time the main news is shown on BBC1 and Channel Four on a weekday. Present your information in a format that makes it easy to compare the different channels and start times.

-Look at the TV listings for Sky 1 for Monday and convert the start times of each programme into digital format. Create a table or diagram to show the times and programmes.

-What time is your favourite TV programme on? How long does it last? What channel is it on? What programme is showing on two different channels at the same time?

10. LO: To solve problems involving time

Use the television listings from a newspaper, magazine or the internet and create (cut & paste, cut out and stick in, draw a table, etc) a table showing all the programmes on BBC1 from 9.30am until 2.00pm.

-Work out how long each programme lasts (in minutes).
    -Which programme is on television the longest? How long does it last?
    -Which programme is on the shortest? How long does it last?
    -How many programmes last longer than 45 minutes?
    If the first programme overruns by 15 minutes work out the new times that the all the programmes after it will start.

-Using your TV listings guide, find out at what time the main news is shown on BBC1 and Channel Four on a weekday. Present your information in a format that makes it easy to compare the different channels and start times.

-Look at the TV listings for Sky 1 for Monday and convert the start times of each programme into digital format. Create a table or diagram to show the times and programmes.

-What time is your favourite TV programme on? How long does it last? What channel is it on? What programme is showing on two different channels at the same time?

11. LO: To explore the use of numbers

?Look for numbers inside and outside your home. Make a note of where you see them. Why and how are they being used? Try to find 10 different examples. Present this information in a table, chart or diagram.

?Look at the pages of a book. Where are the odd numbers ? on the left or right? Is it the same in every book? Investigate and report your findings.

?Find 24 small objects in your home (buttons, coins, matchsticks, etc). How many different ways can you find to make equal groups of the objects? Write down the combinations.

?Create a list of numbers that you use:
    o The number of your house
    o The number of a bus you use
    o Your telephone number
    o Your birthday
    o The ages of your family members
    o The telephone number of a friend

?What is your favourite number? How many different ways can you make this number? Can you make your favourite number using different number operations, + x - ÷(eg, number 3, 1 + 1 + 1, 1 x 3, 4 - 1, 6 ÷2, etc)

12. ? Look around your home and count how many different shapes you can find. List 10 different objects and their shape (eg, television ? rectangle).

? Describe and draw 5 different shapes that you can see.

? Which shapes have right angles? Draw the object and show the right angle.

? Which shapes have lines of symmetry? Draw the object and show the lines of symmetry.

? Design a plan for a square room using only 2D shapes. Use different shapes to represent the furniture in your room (eg, circle for chair, rectangle for bed, etc). You can decide what furniture to have in your room. Label the items in your room.

13. ? You have been asked to organise the packed lunches for your class trip. Everyone will get the following packed lunch:

1 ham sandwich (2 slices of bread for each sandwich)
    1 packet of crisps
    1 piece of fruit
    1 yoghurt
    1 carton drink

? How many of each item will you need altogether?

? How many slices of bread are there in a loaf? How many loaves will you need?

? If there is one slice of ham in the sandwich, how much ham will you need?

? How many slices of ham are in a pack? How many packs will you need?

? Look in your local shop, supermarket or on the internet and estimate the costs of each item needed for the packed lunch. How much will they cost altogether?

? Work out the exact costs for all the items needed. How does this compare with your estimated cost?

? Can you find any special offers on the items you need that will help you to save money?

14. Brilliant ideas on here!
    I really like the maths based ideas. I'd been thinking along the lines of the 'favourite number' one - I shall probably use that set of ideas! (I think I'd be wary of using the pay for chores idea though - it made me feel a bit uneasy - could alienate some families?)

I went to look at the learning log website, but gave up because it was so hard to read white text on black background - any chance of making it easier to read? Picky, I know, but it did really put me off (and gave me googly eyes when I came back here!) I really want to read it!
    Hmm - 3 uses of 'really' in two paragraphs. Not good.

15. shetland-kat

Dinx - thanks for those great maths ideas.

Kat

16. What areas of maths could we do with having? I don't mind coming up with more maths activities if you suggest some more specific topics. I was thinking of some weights and measures ones? What do you think?

17. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

Definitely!
    Thanks for all your ideas so far:)

18. dinx these are great, im still planning to pull all this thread together into a homework booklet did start it just got to work out where i got to, it will have all the ideas from here plus a section on how to set up the various types of homework.

Re maths some around using possible cookery would be good