1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Homework - lets share and be creative

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bluerose, Jul 25, 2007.

1. That's so true blondebrighton. There are some homework tasks that Dads really enjoy (making a Roman shield springs to mind!) The children are delighted and so are the mums! I love it when parents come and tell me how much they enjoyed a homework.

2. and as a parent theres nothing worse than something your child hates at school and you have to nag them to complete another worksheet of it OR a task you cant understand as it relies on child to recall too much and no examples and i always think and im a teacher how on earth are those who dont teach supposed to know what to do. In primary homework should be a fun and creative way to reinforce learning and share it across a family. Leave boring slog to secondary they do it so well. (expecting lots of complaints here) To be fair thats from own memory mines not there yet

3. someone has requested help with pirate homework for year 2 can anyone help.

Create a treasure map
    dress up as pirate and have photo taken or draw picture
    make a treasure chest
    design a pirates board game

4. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

How about a variation on the snowman problem? How many combinations of pirates can you have with a hat, an eye patch and a sword?
    Word problems on gold pieces, sharing them equally between the crew etc.

5. shetland-kat

shetland-kat New commenter

Wow, i go out for a day and find lots more ideas have been posted! I really love this thread.

Those of you who are thinking to try the points system, what are you going to do to show grat achievement for those to chose to get the highest points? And how does that work for children who get little/no support at home and only could manage the low points - but yet put in as much effort as those with very helpful parents, access to lots of resources etc?

Kat

6. shetland-kat

My thoughts on CASTLES

ACTIVITY
    2 points
    Name famous Castles you are aware of ? real ones and ones in stories.
    Draw and label castle features you know and find out why these helped protection
    Create a timeline showing when Castles were built. Highlight how Castles changed over time.
    Find out about food from the Medieval Era. Compile a menu for Cinderella?s ball.
    Paint/draw a dragon. Write a character profile about him/her.

5 points
    Explain through the use of diagrams why Castles were built where they were
    Recreate a wartime poster. (This can be done on the computer)
    Write a ?Day in the Life of? for someone who lived in a Castle
    Dress up as a Prince/Princess/Peasant/Maid etc and write a description
    Label a map indicating famous Castles ? UK or Scotland
    Find out about toys in the Middle ages. Design an advert for this toy ? can be completed on computer

8 points
    Choose how to show how life in the Castle contrasted for different people eg. King / Peasant
    Make a tourist brochure about a castle of your choice
    Find out about attack and defence strategies ? build your own model to replicate one of these
    Write a fictional news paper report about a castle being under attack, have eye witnesses, photographs etc.

10 points
    If you have access to a castle nearby, go for a visit, take photographs and make a scrapbook of what you found out. Could chose a famous castle and research on internet if its not possible to visit one.
    Using a well known Castle, (Fact or fiction) create a fairy tale. You could use existing characters or make your own.
    Make a 3D model of a castle

You are welcome to add ideas!

7. Not sure what to do re points idea youre right could cause a dilemma, maybe have a show at end of topic with parents invited in but that could lead to competitive parents in some areas. Maybe show for other classes dont know sorry

8. meant to say love castles ideas and thanks for that pirate idea.
    Maybe learn a pirate song
    Write a pirate poem
    design and name a pirate parrot

9. bluerose, I missed something somewhere. saw them on the group too. what do the points mean?

10. Its another posters idea basically you set a longer term piece of homework relating to a project you categorise tasks into points catergories and then pupils are told minimum points they need to achieve. (can use this for differentiation if you so wish) and then they can choose which kinds of tasks to do more independence.
    Theres also a link on here where homework tasks are split into types of learning rather than points so all have to do some from each type of category of thinking

11. ah...good idea...

12. shetland-kat

Types of learning - i like that idea. Need to find that link.

:)

13. shetland-kat

Thanks for those bluerose. I will look at them tomorrow. I am heading out to the second wedding for this weekend shortly, so need to go and get ready!

:)

14. shetland-kat

15. shetland-kat

Ok, I have begun a homework audit for parents. Please have a look and let me know what other things I could have on there, differetn wording, what could be removed etc!

I dont want parents to panic and think oh my gosh, we have to have all this, but I would also like them to make some effort.

What do you think?
    Kat
    sweethoneyness99@hotmail.com

16. where is the audit Kat?

17. shetland-kat

18. looks like a good place to start, would you give them some more ideas about what sort of thing they would be likely to bo doing?

I would probably do that and then include an 'any comments' box