1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Homework in PE

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by gogojonny, Jan 8, 2011.

1. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Well I've been teaching more than 2 years and have never set homework.
    When your pupils have 7 lessons a day, with homework potentially from each, the last thing some of them need is a PE homework.
    I constantly promote community clubs to pupils and to me that is their homework - I would must rather they go and play a game of squash for 30 mins at the local club then spend 30 mins doing a 'PE homework'.
    The only way PE homework would ever work is in primary school where it can be combined with maths / science - e.g. complete the investigation of heart rate during circuit training.

2. I think traditionally students do not have homework for PE and so we do not see the need for change. The problem comes when ofsted or even SLT are asking how we are extending students learning beyond the classroom. I have in the past incorporated 'active homework' where students keep a diary of physical activity or I may ask students to go for a jog or attend a club. If we are to think participating in exercise outside of school is homework then I believe it is not enough to say "just attend a club", we must monitor and record this in order to consider it proper homework.
    If you were to set homework in P.E. Do you think it should be 'active' or theory?
    Mr mac

3. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

In Primary School activity logs might work - would have to relate it to some sort of award (Sport in the Community). For secondary school you could again run an awards system, requiring pupils to log their activity time. Could be part of a whole school challenge. For Y9 onwards it could relate to DofE.
    But any rewards scheme / activity log should be optional. Forcing pupils to do it will create more hassle than it is worth. One pupil may be a talented actor or musician, and may not have time to play sport. Should they be penalised for this?
    Why should we monitor and record clubs out of school? We can monitor the clubs we introduce the pupils to, but what the pupils do out of school is up to them. PE should give them the fundamental skills and confidence to join these clubs. Games departments in schools should continue to build on this. Monitor pupils' choice of games options in school, but out of school let them do what they want without breathing down their neck!
    For many pupils attending a local club is an escape from school. Some would hate for it to be connected to school by getting coaches to sign activity logs.
    It seems like you would like to see an academic PE for all pupils. I would like to see a more practical games based focus. Instead of pratting about on the finer points of a Level 4 badminton serve the pupils should be outside in teams playing sport each week against opposition. The homework then becomes how can our team improve to win the game next week.

4. For theory, every lesson (past paper questions), you want them to achieve, so leave no stone unturned. But get them to mark the work of their peers (they are the learners, so why should you do it). Research shows that peers mark more critically, plus they may gain insight into answers not previously thought etc etc. they gain more if they mark it, than if you do (but keep track of marks) plus means less work for you. Double bonus.

5. Totally agree with Gogojohnny. I was a Head of PE for 15 years, 7 of them at a sports college, and have never set homework....ever. In fact if I had my time over again I would not even do GCSE PE, there is no need to make our subject academic at that age. It should be pure concentration on learning the skills to play, fitness work and plenty of fixtures for all abilities, simple as that. If senior managers cannot see the benefits of a balanced curriculum(i.e. academic and practical), then they should not be in the job.