1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Homework in a interview lesson

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Monkeyguy82, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Quick question - would the the expectation be to set, or not set, homework in an interview lesson? Would seem stupid as you won't be there next lesson to have it in!

2. Hi all,

Quick question - would the the expectation be to set, or not set, homework in an interview lesson? Would seem stupid as you won't be there next lesson to have it in!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Never even occurred to me to ever set it? Why would you, if there was no chance of seeing it, marking it and being able to give feedback/
    I have however suggested children might follow up something they've enjoyed with their classteacher, if she/he was agreeable.

4. If it is something the school is trying to improve on, you could add it to your planning with a note saying that in this case it would be inapprorpiate to set it but this is what you would set.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, you are right not to set it - because you would in fact be setting work for another teacher to mark.
    But you should have it as part of your plan that you hand in. Don't forget to consider buying this book, which gives you tips for observed lessons, and in particul;ar some excellent examples of writing lesson plans to show your skills.
    [​IMG]
    Good luck
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th and the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

6. Already purchased and read Theo, thanks!

7. you are joking right

8. I did an interview lesson and for an extension task (which I had just in case) I had printed off a practice exam question and mark scheme. Not many of the kids had time to make a start on this, but at the end of my lesson I did say 'if anyone's interested I do have a practice exam question which would be useful for revision.' A couple of the kids did actually take me up on the offer!

Seeing as how I had printed off enough for the whole class I then asked the regular class teacher if she would like them and ended up leaving them for her to use. (If they don't get used then I guess they'll end up in the bin, but that's only where they would've ended up anyway!)

So, not setting homework as such, but it gave the kids the opportunity to do some exam practice and look at a mark scheme if they wanted at home.