1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Homework debate

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by pantomime horse, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Do you set art homework for your pupils? We set it every third week for KS3 and weekly for GCSE.
    I wouldn't ever get rid of it at GCSE level but some subjects in our school don't set it at all at KS3. I'm just wondering what your approach is and if you see the value in it.
    I think its a good opportunity for pupils to practise skills, research and develop ideas independently. I've never really considered not setting it - historically thats what we've always done.
    If you don't set homework do you see any difference in quality of work/progress?
    Any thoughts/opinions appreciated.

2. Do you set art homework for your pupils? We set it every third week for KS3 and weekly for GCSE.
    I wouldn't ever get rid of it at GCSE level but some subjects in our school don't set it at all at KS3. I'm just wondering what your approach is and if you see the value in it.
    I think its a good opportunity for pupils to practise skills, research and develop ideas independently. I've never really considered not setting it - historically thats what we've always done.
    If you don't set homework do you see any difference in quality of work/progress?
    Any thoughts/opinions appreciated.

3. Really? Why not every week?

4. Eng, Maths and Science set it once a week and they have 3+ lessons of those subjects a week. We see them once a week. So its actually in proportion to the number of lessons they have. If we set it once a week pupils would be actually doing more art homework than any other subject.
    Do you set it once a week? Heck, that seems a lot. We have 8 forms per year group - that seems ridiculous in terms of work load and marking.

We set Yr7 one week, Yr 8 the next and so on.
    How can you possibly have valid tasks to set so often without it just being homework for the sake of it?

5. I'm not actually a teacher yet. I've applied for primary, but I roam around the art forum because art and design is what I trained in. I find it really interesting to see how art is taught even in secondary schools.
    My comment was in reference to - my cousin who is an art teacher at a secondary school - sets homework every week for her students. Year 7-9 is only a small task in their sketch books and of course GCSE has a lot more work set. Also has lessons with them once a week.
    You're right that homework set shouldn't be set for the sake of it.

6. Im a head of art and we set it each week, they have a hour a week so whatever is done in that lesson will either be extending into the prep or prep will be in advance of the next lesson or even just work to practice and improve skill. By not setting it you are already making the subject seem less worthy than all the rest - we get enough stick as it is! Your lesson is just as important as the rest and you should be setting standards to your pupils. If you don't when they get to GCSE they will find it incredibly hard to work to deadlines and produce enough quality work.

7. I too am a head of dept. I agree about using homework to practice skills and tasks linking into the next lesson. I disagree that by not setting it every week I am somehow making the subject 'less worthy'. You are right we do get a lot of stick and are low down on the pecking order in a lot of schools but I also think it depends on how you deliver, promote and celebrate your subject. Your comment suggests that somehow homework is used a validation for the importance of art. As I mentioned above, art homework is set in proportion to all other subjects.
    What kinds of tasks do you set every week? How long do you expect pupils to spend on them and do you mark it all on a weekly basis? How do you find the time to give accurate and useful feedback?
    I agree art is as important (if not more so) than all 'the rest' and I do set standards. I fail to see how giving pupils endless homework tasks somehow gives the impression that its not an important subject.
    Our success at GCSE remains unaffected by our KS3 approach.