1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Homeschooling

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Newstein, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

Have you, educated your child at home? How far have you gone? A Levels?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

As this is a website for teachers (as you know, having been a member here for some years) it's unlikely many will have home-schooled their own children. So not surprising you have had no replies.

There are websites out there specifically for people intending to home-school. You'll probably get a better response if you post on those.

3. Koodlesch

Koodlesch New commenter

I know this isn't probably what you're looking for the homeschooling is really big is the U.S. I would suggest looking into their curriculum. I teach my own children but not the extent that they solely learn at home. I live in Thailand so my children go to a Thai school but I am their sole English teacher, meaning that I teach them English, Mathematics (in Eng) and Science (in Eng) at home in the evenings and weekends.
    I also tutor a lot of children to prep them for GCSEs but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

4. ellisnorma

ellisnorma New commenter

From your query, I am assuming that you are particularly looking for a suggestion that "should you homeschool your kid for A Levels?"
    Focussing my answer to this particular thing, I will suggest you choose homeschooling. Though "A levels" are quite hard and your kid will definitely need expert's help but at the same time it requires so much of independent studies. Choosing a school for expert's help might not be as fruitful as you are thinking because it is really difficult to cope up with school study, homework/assignments, projects, and tuition all at once.

Homeschooling will let you and your kid decide the curriculum, time and hours of study. Also, you can seek expert's help though reputed online tutoring websites whenever needed.

literaturelover96 likes this.
  5. Monha

Monha Occasional commenter

How effective is homeschooling?
    It is totally different from being in school.
    Is it mostly exam oriented or there may be other activities for the student?