1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Homeschool help!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lovehijabgirl, Mar 31, 2017.

1. lovehijabgirl

lovehijabgirl New commenter

Hi

I'm homeschooling my 7 year old, currently in Year 3. I'm looking for workbooks and texbooks for her to work from that will cover the national curriculum. Which ones would you recommend for English, Maths and Science. As well as Computing, Geography and History. I would like to plan for Year 4 so would love some recommendations for that please. I'm not a teacher so lesson plans won't really work for me. Textbooks we can use to learn and teach from and workbooks would be ideal.

Thank you

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ah no faith in the system ? I am sure you are well intended and have concrete reasons for your decision . I hope it goes well. The irony of your approaching the very people whose knowledge, skills and expertise you are rejecting is not lost on me.

3. lovehijabgirl

lovehijabgirl New commenter

I guess I should have mentioned the reason why I'm homeschooling is because my daughter's school closed down as there weren't enough students to keep it open. The council closed it down in February and the school we chose for her is full. We lost our appeal last week and so we're homeschooling until she gets a place.

4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

It would be very unusual for primary school pupils to learn different subjects by working their way through workbooks and textbooks. Teachers plan lessons to meet their pupils needs then find resources that would help meet the relevant learning intentions or produce their own materials.

Pomz, musicandmaths and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. Pidduma

Pidduma New commenter

There are many conceivable reasons for not sending one's children to school which do not entail rejecting the expertise of teachers. Dealing with the behaviour of some children day in day out makes me fear for my own children, in spite of my respect for the ability of my colleagues in local schools. I have every sympathy for parents who decide the state school system is not the best for their children.

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Perhaps you should approach the school which is currently full for help / advice ? You obviously feel that this is the best place for your daughter and their willingness to support you in your current circumstances could / should confirm this.

Kartoshka, bonxie and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

From post 3 I'm guessing your daughter was previously at a small Indepedent School? In which case she won't have needed to follow the NC, though many Schools do and may have indeed used 'textbooks' for her learning.

The idea of contacting her future School is a good one and might help you to highlight where any potential gaps are, to ensure a smooth transition when she does move.

bonxie likes this.
  8. I can't specify the name for subjects. But on reading all ideas I found homeschooling is good option for parents and children. But I have question as I am working parent how would I plan for homeschooling?

9. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I would suggest that you do look at lesson plans from different sites/schemes as they will help you understand how your child is supposed to do things. If you just work through pages from a textbook your child will not learn different methods and ways of doing things.
    Perhaps you could approach this school and ask what key resources they use.

Lara mfl 05 and bonxie like this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Try this website for a starting point. HomeSchoolUK

Links to lots of resources here and some others here

Good luck, there are many people choosing home schooling these days and a wealth of support available.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Just for information
    The national curriculum only applies to maintained schools in England and Wales.
    If you are home-schooling you can teach anything you so wish.

To be honest, if this is going to be a short term arrangement, then you could take advantage of the opportunity to give your daughter a break from the academic rigour of schools today.

Visit places of interest
    Do lots of baking/cooking
    Read lots of fun books
    Write letters to famous people
    Write funny stories
    Play in the park
    Go to the beach and look in rockpools

Even if this isn't what you would have chosen, maybe relax and enjoy this time with your daughter. You'll never get the chance again.

13. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

There are many study guides and workbooks available for each year group: CGP, Letts, Schofield and Simms, to name just a few. WHSmith stock most of them. They will cover the National Curriculum, so you know you will have covered the basics. But your child will probably progress quickly as she has you on a 1:1 basis. You only have one child's progress to focus on. Lesson plans would be irrelevant as you will be able to adapt the learning as you go along according to your daughter's needs and interests. You will also be able to go into greater depth on any topic you wish, and use real life to apply knowledge e.g. cooking, shopping, trips etc. Make sure you continually provide her with a supply of quality fiction and non-fiction books to read for pleasure; the Book People are very good for cheap sets of books, also use the library/charity shops. I have home-schooled and recommend it for younger children, up to about 6/7 years of age. For the English side of things, if children are devouring books for pleasure you needn't worry about much else.

14. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

...and great websites like this one will give you lots of free ideas/resources. Subscription to something like ****** could also give you a wealth or resources. Personally, I like caterpillartobutterfly's idea!

15. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Wow! Tw inkl

16. derek_underwood79

derek_underwood79 Occasional commenter

I would suggest you consider home education and not returning your child to school. Forget about the curriculum, it is liberating.

literaturelover96 likes this.