1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Homeostasis temperture lesson- good to outstanding!

Discussion in 'Science' started by sciencequeen00, Nov 26, 2011.

1. sciencequeen00

sciencequeen00 New commenter

I want to teach a good if not outstanding lesson on this..any good ideas?

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I start it off by going round with a bottle of propanone and a pipette and squirting half a ml or so on the back of their hands so they can feel the cold as it evaporates, get one to read the temp of the bottle using a thermometer. Many kids think sweating works because it gets rid of hot water from your body.

3. sciencequeen00

ahhh yes! Nice idea, will ethanol work?

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Propanone is much better, ethanol is not a lot better than water tbh. You should have some in the dept and it's quite safe.

5. Thejumpingjew

Thejumpingjew New commenter

The important thing to realise is that an outstanding lesson is made by several key things. The most important being your learning objectives.
    Be realistic, but remmeber that an outstanding lesson requires progress above and beyond that normally expected - so set your learning objctives accordingly.
    All will be able to identify three ways in which our body responds to hanges in temperature
    Some will be able to do the above as well as describe how the body causes these changes
    Few will be able to do the above as well asexplaining how these changes lead to keeping the body temperature constant.

Starter - Always base it on finding out what they already know (try and show they know nothing!) - A ppt with the questions
    - Name three things your body does to keep you cool or warm you up?
    - How does our body cause each of these things to happen?
    - Why does each of these things cool us down?

Main - 1
    The propanone thing is a great starter to get them thinking - Remember for an outstanding leon pupils should show both independent and collaborative appoaches.
    Get them to do it - and write down what they think their body did to respond to the change - Thn share with person next to them and improve - Thn in fours and improve - Then feedback.

Main 2
    Now you coul look at a more extreme situation - like a frozen ice man or arctic explorer - get them to do the same thing with the qu. "How did their bodys change as they got colder"

Main 3
    We now need to show some literacy in our lesson - The level od this depends on th level o the class, either way a DARTS activity is highly appropriate - write out an info sheet on th bodies response.
    Step 1 - pupil undeline ways the body changes in red, how the body causes these changes in blue, why the body causes these changes in green.
    Step 2 - Pupils then put the info into a table /What/How / Why/
    Step 3 - Pupils use the table to write up their notes in full sentences and create their own notes.

Main 4 or H/w
    Consolidation stage - I like a speed dating style question process or maybe use their phones to record them explaining what happens to a young child

Plenary - Again very important
    Go back to your starter questions - If pupils can answer the questions now you have shown all pupils have made outstanding progress.

within this lesson there will be outstanding progress and literacy skills, as well as independent learning. - The rest is simply assessment (which would be a long term thing) and a knowledge of your own pupils.

Hope this was helpful

If you want any more info drop me a PM

Martin

6. sciencequeen00

Thank you thats great advice, I am thinking more about the literacy and also differentiation as class has A-E range!
    I was thinking of doing starter etc an dthen going off to do some group work in ability groups...

7. I'm on my PGCE and did a lesson recently:

Starter: recap on previous theory of how body temp is controlled plus some HSW (as they had planned the 'experiment')

Main: Experiment - took the temperature of their forehead using strip thermometers. Next, they needed to do something to warm them up to see whether heat is lost from the skin. So they did the macarena! I just played the chorus over and over, each time making it faster using a programme called Audacity. They loved it and I had a great laugh. After 15 mins - took their temp. again, majority got the idea "I'm well hot now!", temp of skin had gone up.

My plenary was weak because the starter took a little longer than expected, and I needed time to set homework too.

In terms of literacy - I always have key words like vasoconstriction etc. Could be better if you get them to write the experiment like a lab report type of thing. Numeracy was minimal as they only worked out temp. difference.