1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Homeostasis - Glucose Control/Diabetes lesson Help!!

Discussion in 'Science' started by sunita182, Nov 29, 2011.

1. I have a really important observation on thursday, would like some ideas on how to make this lesson more interesting and engaging ?

Thanks

2. I have a really important observation on thursday, would like some ideas on how to make this lesson more interesting and engaging ?

Thanks

3. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

Tough one for obs. Perhaps (I'm not the strongest on this so I'm thinking aloud, not recommending), you could do something (depending on class ability) with testing of pretend urine samples...e.g. test these three samples from our pretend patients...what do you find out? They could lead to explain why sometimes there is glucose in urine...suppose you always risk it getting over complicated but something to think about!

As a side though - it can be someone in a year group has it so double edged thing here - check it isn't going to upset anyone but on the flip side perhaps someone can share some experiences...or even staff?

I suppose for stretch they could suggest how to manage the problem...whilst it's not the most stimulating topic in some ways, in others it is quite a relevant one that relates to real people and sometimes that can work well!

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

4. I have done an activity where students are given a graph with blood sugar level on y axis and time on the x axis. Students are then asked to annotate the graph to say what could be happening in the life of that person to cause their blood sugar level to change as shown on the graph.
    It's worked well to get discussions going. Lower ability could be provided with cards to place at points on the graph. I've uploaded it into the resources called Blood sugar Living graph.

5. i imagine you have planned this lesson out by now, but i do 2 things in this lesson.

1- i have a ready made " glucose control pack". It contains a liver, pancreas, glucagon, insulin and glucose as pre cut out card. The pupils are taught the theory, and then asked to use the cards to produce a show to teach each other. Im telling you this even though i know you will have no time to make this, but perhaps you could improvise with whiteboards and other classroom objects.

You ask one group to (2-3) to show the class what would happen if blood glucose levels went up/down.

2- Use the pupils in a role play situation. They are the glucose'insullin/glucagon etc. They circulate the class being glucose, then the a pupil pancreas releases insulin or glucagon etc, and a pupil liver does what it needs.

These 2 can act as part of your assessment as the pupils are showing you what they know.

2 asses more of the pupils, they can fill in a w'sheet for you to mark, or they can mark one anothers. They can then put the mark on a whiteboard of what that person got out of 10 etc.

Or use the wboards to writr answers to simple questions, such as where are blood glucose levels detected?