1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Homemade Xmas stuff a la Kirsty Allsop?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Do you make stuff to give as presents, or crochet baubles for your tree? I was reading an article in the paper this morning saying how expensive and unsuccessful the writer's own attempts at making bath bombs and wax candles had been. Crochet baubles sound ridiculous to me because they don't shine. And to make sloe gin you need to buy a bottle of ordinary gin to start with. How about you? Do you give homemade presents?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

No. I had nightmares about sewing, knitting and handicrafts when I was at junior school and have no wish to try again. I have learnt to cook out of necessity but that can still be a worry so no home made chutney, cross stitch or quilt making in this house.

Lascarina likes this.
  3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Alongside bought ones, yes I have done. Scented container candles or nightlights are very simple to make, and so are chocolate truffles. Sloe/raspberry gin/vodka are again very easy to make and if bought would cost a lot more than the home-made variety. Also interesting things like herb-infused vinegars are different and easy to do. Ditto chutney - damson is gorgeous. Other 'craft' items are available too - cushion covers, hot water bottle jackets, patchwork quilts, beady jewellery - none of it's that difficult to make really; it just needs time and maybe learning a few new skills. One year, many years ago, I knitted jumpers for my parents and my OH. Took me months - but they were appreciated and worn (even when I wasn't looking). The next thing I want to learn is glass painting - there are all sorts of opportunities to be had there.

cissy3 and Lascarina like this.
  4. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I have in the past but not for a while.
    I'm delighted if my children make me presents. Last year they got together and made some lovely things which showed more effort than the usual box of Maltesers.

cissy3 and monicabilongame like this.
  5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I love it when children make things for me. That's different!

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

That's not hard. I once made more than 100 painted glass jars for the school's Xmas bazaar. They look very pretty 'in the window with the light behind them'.

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I love hand-made edible Christmas gifts. I also make them for people - usually chutney or chocolate truffles. Have made soap before too, but that was quite a lot of effort. My sister made me lemon body-scrub last Christmas, which smells great but I can't use it as I think she used broken glass as the exfoliating agent...

8. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I daren't make "edible" things as people could sue! My elder girl made a good few of the family presents the other year..... different oils, salts, hair products etc (I have to say the younger daughter whilst managing not to wrinkle her nose - left them all behind on going back to London - I kept that very secret to avoid WW3!)
    I am debating giving them both the latest offering from the REMfan knitting needles..... one or two have crossed to the USA....... and a friend has wanted quite a few of them for her grandchildren who adore them ....so I'm happy! IMG_0381.JPG

9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I love those!

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Aha! I have delegated present-knitting to second daughter!

I'm not daft, you know.

11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Lady Artboy makes all sorts of Christmas decs and items and they're a million times better than that shabby rubbish Kirsty flaunts on the telly.

cissy3 likes this.
  12. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

I made bright red pompoms for my christmas tree last year. I enjoyed it and they looked bright and welcoming in the daylight and contrast nicely with the green.

cissy3 likes this.
  13. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

They are lovely Helen! My daughter is penguin mad, in fact until she was 6 she was going to marry one! She would love them.

14. bluelemonade

bluelemonade Occasional commenter

I still have a bit of an egg carton covered in foil which goes up every year, from when first born was, well, first born and at playgroup. Nothing could mean more to me than that. I am an exemplary knitter, and at the wedding recently all three turned up in their knitted jumpers at one time or another in the informal bit. I was quite tearful. They must love me in a way expressed through the medium of knitting wot I have done. I am making a Brighton scarf for my daughter's boyfriend, and amazingly Brighton Pavilion on it has worked, Who Knew?

15. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I'm halfway through making an elephant doorstop for my best friend. She has more money than I do (funnily enough she's not a teacher!?!) and busy stuff she wants so this means more. I painted her a canvas with a wordcloud of words than are meaningful to her for her 30th and she loves it! I think it shows thought and effort rather than just buying something. That being said, I don't do this for everyone.

I also made a festive table runner for my dining table and some Christmas bunting a couple of years ago. I go through phases dependent on how much time I've got.

cissy3 likes this.
  16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I'm giving 4 people a bottle each of the Creme de Cassis I made from my allotment blackcurrants. I'm keeping two bottles for me.

A few presents will be hats and scarves I've knitted in the past year.
    My shop purchases will be minimal this year.

coffeekid and monicabilongame like this.
  17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

For years our 'angel on the top of the tree' was a Santa made out of a toilet roll, cotton wool and red crepe paper made by our eldest when he was at nursery school. It finally fell apart after 25 years or so.

Recipe please - I love doing home-made alcohol - have done some very potent mead in the past.

18. grumpydogwoman

My cleaning lady likes owls and the colour purple and needs a hat to walk my dogs! Ta da!

owlhat.jpg

Dragonlady30 and bombaysapphire like this.
  19. grumpydogwoman

geckocushion.jpg

And the cushion for my wife who loves all things gecko. (Except Gordon. Obviously.)

cissy3 and HelenREMfan like this.
  20. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have often given homemade membrillo (quince paste) with a piece of manchego cheese or sweet and salted crunchy nut bars. I have given them as raffle presents at TES meets too. I don't really like bits that clutter up the house so I am a bit fan of edible presents.

Lascarina and grumpydogwoman like this.