1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Homecoming

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by Tartan01, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Tartan01

Tartan01 New commenter

I have never taught in a school in Scotland and in fact qualified as a teacher in Chile where I am currently living. I have taught here in several schools and have been teaching overall for about twenty years. I did teach, however, in the EFL department of a Scottish university for a few years. My main school experience has been as an IB language and literature teacher in Chile.

I recently obtained registration with GTCS in English and TESOL. In the future I would also like to possibly teach Spanish. I'm thinking of coming back to Scotland with my family.

What advice about finding a job would you give? I feel it's a bit of risk not having a job before coming. Also although I'm an experienced teacher I feel I would need a bit of support getting to know about the Scottish curriculum.

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Assuming that you have not got your heart set on the Central Belt,applying for jobs teaching English in Aberdeen City or Aberdeenshire would be a first step.
    The school I have just retired from appointed their least 2 English teachers by Skype interviews and neither of those teachers had experience of the Scottish curriculum.

Tartan01 likes this.
  3. Tartan01

Tartan01 New commenter

I'm from Glasgow but would be open. Any other regions where there is a particular lack and which might also be prepared to interview at a distance?

4. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

I know that Fife was prepared to do telephone interviews for a Mod Lang post a few years ago. I believe they have a shortage of English teachers. Not sure what's up on MyJobScotland at the moment.

Tartan01 likes this.
  5. teachaaaaaa

teachaaaaaa New commenter

Scottish Borders currently has 2 permanent English posts advertised. Like others say, provided you don’t need to be in Glasgow or Edinburgh where for some subjects there is still a lack of vacancies and a lot of competition when they do come up (and most of them are temporary too, cos they can fill them year to year easily), you would be in with a good chance. Borders, for example is only 45 mins from Edinburgh but many people don’t see it as such so they sometimes struggle for Staff. I like it here and I’m not a native.

Tartan01 likes this.