1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Home work in reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kaz_allan, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Can anyone share What home work you send home each week? Do you send different things for children depending on ability and interests or send all the same?

We send an alternate maths and literacy plus guided reading book and phonics but not sure if we should be matching more closely to individual childrens needs - I guess we should but wondered what other schools do.

Thanks

2. louisea

louisea New commenter

We send home a Jolly Phonics book for parents to practise the sounds/actions. Some HF words. 5 children this week have taken home a reading book with words (decodable books linked to sounds/words that they have been given). The others are taking home wordless books.
    We don't send anything else home at the moment. They do borrow a libary book from our school library
    Louise

3. We send home a jolly phonics book for the children to colour in the pictures, practice writing the letters and learn the sound. A rhyme book that is linked to the rymes, counting song or poem that we are learning that week. The children can colour in the pictures and the parents can help them learn the song by reading the words.
    We also have maths challenge books. All children have the same first half tem and then i differentiate according to ability but all the challenges are linked to what we are doing in class.
    Every child also has a reading book with or without words, key words, and letter cards.

I know it sounds a lot of work but it is quite managable and the parents really seem to like it.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We have a letter-sound book which they bring in every day to add that day's new sound. Chidlren who have begun to decode cvc words have a list of decodable words, some now have decodable reading books.
    Children who have difficulty forming a particular letter (usually if it's in their name at first) get a letter formation sheet for that letter.

5. I send home a weekly homework planner sheet - it's somewhere in the resources here.
    It tells parents what we have been doing that week and suggests activities that parents can do with children to consolidate that learning.
    We also send home a reading book - most children have books without text, a few have very simple text.
    We will also be sending home tricky words, more as a reference for parents as we tell them specific words we have worked on that week on the homework planner.
    This week we have asked (via the homework planner) that parents help children prepare a show and tell about their favourite story character.
    Later in the term we will send home Learning Journals foor a specific task.

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Our school sent nothing as homework in reception (my last child finished reception last year)apart from now and then they sent home a completely inappropriate reading book (generally too hard or too easy and not decodable) for the child to read to me. It would have been better if they had not done this. We could fill in the child's reading record daily if we chose to but in general the children were not heard very often at school, and nothing we wrote in the reading record was responded to. The main problem with the home reading books was that they were a terrible mishmash of reading schemes (mainly old non-decodable ones) stuffed in coloured boxes according to the reading recovery bookband colours and the child just chose for themselves a book out of the "correct" coloured box. It was flukey if it was a good fit to their actual reading skills. Please don't use this system!!!
    As a parent I would have welcomed something more about synthetic phonics and how to support at home, and appropriate decodable readers for her to read, and simple real books once she could read reasonably well. For my second child I bought these myself and prayed that the school would send home even fewer reading books from the school collection as they were so bad. I would have been happy with a little bit of letter and number formation practice from time to time - optional perhaps?
    I would like to have known what they were doing in connection with shapes and numbers on a weekly basis with some ideas maybe as to what to do to back this up at home in a fun way - but nothing compulsory.
    Some (good) parents feel very strongly there should be no "homework" in reception, but I am sure they would be happy with "here are some suggestions, take it or leave it". I dislike compulsory homework (at any key stage) which has been set just for the sake of setting homework and is not really an effective use of time. Good well thought out homework I really appreciate. Instead of homeworks that are set just to meet a policy or keep parents happy I'd rather know what kiddo is supposed to have covered that week and then I can choose to do something about it (or not) in whatever fashion I see fit ......... some parents will be able and happy to do that, others not.
    Some of the phonics schemes (e.g. Read Write Inc) actually suggest in the scheme books what should be sent home at which stage. This seems good to me - no extra planning needed by the teacher, and the stuff that is sent home fits that particular child's progress at that particular point in time.
    I myself think a small amount of homework in reception is a good thing if it is appealing, appropriate, and not stressful for parent or child. The worst thing is non-decodable readers the child can't really read, a parent who thinks (quite naturally) that if the child can't read it they are playing up or are hopeless. A parent will assume that the homework that comes home has been selected as appropriate for their child so if the child cannot do it with a very low level of support it all gets very stressful.

7. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We send home some of the activities we will be doing in school if they want to repeat and suggest what they may like to do at home (eg , please teach your child to dress him/her self). All the children have a sound book, and the children that can sound out and blend have a decodable reading book.