1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Home visits for children starting Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by clarecrs, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Having talked to some people on a course, I am enthusiastic about introducing home visits at the start of the Autumn term. Some of our parents rarely come to school - a taxi brings & collects. I am wanting to try to establish a situation where these parents will feel able to 'pop in' sometimes. These parents also tend to find reading very tricky & I am hoping to start other 'events and opportunities' so that they are more included.
    It was really interesting to read how people organise the home visits for children starting Nursery & I just wondered if anyone does them at the start of Reception as we don't have a nursery at our school.

Thank you for your help!!

2. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

I did home visits for the first time last year and found it really useful! I was lucky because the school had two INSET days, then the rest of school went back on Thursday and Friday and I did my home visits over those two days, then YR children started on Monday and had a whole week (am only) which seemed easier than trying to settle them over just two days of mornings and then having possible separation problems all over again the next week.
    I found visiting the children in their oiwn homes really helpful - you get a real sense of their home life and interests and you can generally tell how involved the parents are going to be at the same time. I took a box of books and reading records with me and the children loved choosing a book to read at home and they all brought them in proudly on day 1 to change in the book corner.
    We have always had two 'taster' sessions in term 6 and a 'Christmas welcome' day in December but this cohort seemed to settle much better than previous years, although that might be just my impression!

3. Thank you for replying - it is great to find out how others do them!

I shall continue to plan for September!

4. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Our nursery has always done home visits and we will be doing them in reception this year for the first time. I went to the children's pre-schools or daycares last year, and found that the information I got was frankly not much use. We will go in pairs and spend 20 minutes at the child's home.

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

I did home visits in every school I worked in in both nursery. We would alwyas go in pairs,I would chat to the parent whilst my TA would talk and play with the child. In over 20 years of doing them I only ever had one parent say 'oh you're coming to check up on us'. e foun our parents would open up on any concerns they had on their own territory and supported any who were school anxious (the parents that is!).
    Well worth it in terms of time and organisation, we used to stagger our reception inake to accommodate it. We found children would remember our visit years later, and it gave us a good insight into home life.

6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

I meant in both nursery and reception, sorry

7. Thank you for your replies.
    I also visited the pre-schools last year & found that ok. But I want to get (a minority) of the parents to feel that we are human & that we are approachable!
    (We have some traveller families & it is them in particular that I want to involve. Especially as services are being cut & links that we used to have nolonger exist. Theytake their children to pre-school, but when the children start school all the links stop, mainly due to the taxi bringing & collecting the children.)
    I am keen to offer the visits to all of the class, 20 minutes sounds alot easier to manage.
    Thanks.