1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Home time woes in reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by rachelmac87, Sep 17, 2019.

1. rachelmac87

rachelmac87 New commenter

Evening all, I started a new job in reception this month, and unlike the other two schools I've worked in where children are picked up at the classroom door then go to fetch their coats/bags with their parent, in this school the children need to have all their stuff ready and are then taken out into the playground where they line up. So far this has been stressful everytime I've done it, so much so that I'm sure I must be missing a trick! I send a row at a time to get their coats from their pegs in the corridor, then they fetch their book bags from the box in the classroom, then line up by the door. I've worked in EYFS for years but for whatever reason this setup is challenging me! Does anyone have a magic trick or suggestions for how to do this smoothly? Currently the chn on the carpet get restless waiting, the ones lining up get bored and start messing about, and everyone ends up in a muddled line. I'd get them to come and sit back on the carpet but the space is tiny and there is barely room sans coats/bags as it is. Any advice appreciated!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Put out book bags on desks
    Turn numberblocks or similar on the IWB
    Table at a time collect coats
    When numberblocks finishes, everyone stands behind their chair.
    They all walk out with you and you have kittens trying to keep them all together on the playground until collected!

3. potterish17

potterish17 New commenter

I send one line at a time from the carpet to the toilet & then to fetch their coats. They go to their tables - book bags are in boxes. When everybody is ready we line up one table at a time then walk together. It is like herding kittens at this time of year but they very quickly get into routine.

4. May2

May2 Established commenter

Our Reception class used to come in from outdoor provision, kept coats on and got their lunch boxes, drink bottles, bags etc and put on their table, then sat down for 10 minute story wearing their coats. At home time they went a table at a time to collect their stuff and then yours could line up. We actually had parents come to our door so child was called as parent arrived and they were sitting at their table with their belongings. Do you have to keep to the lining up outside. With all the safe guarding worries I thought most Reception children were collected from their classroom.