1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Home time classroom management ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rock chick0, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Rock chick0

Rock chick0 New commenter

Hi
    I was wondering if anybody had some good ideas on how to keep home time in my Year 2 class less chaotic and calm. I find when we are getting ready for home time, the children are noisy, tend to get into conflicts with each other and generally are not listening. I feel like I am just shouting at them al the time and waiting for a large proportion of the class to listen and do what is asked of them.
    This is my routine at the moment. We go in groups to our pegs (the children's 'cloakroom' is in a corner of the classroom) and go and sit at out tables. Then letters etc are given out at tables. Then I choose a table to line up. I am finding it difficult to get them to be quiet and listen and therefore I find it difficult to choose a table to actually line up! Then when lined up it takes forever to get them to be quiet (I try things like identifying those that are doing it right and reward them.) I try doing different actions for them to follow and other various strategies. I think because it is home time, the children know I can't keep them in during playtime/lunch and I am trying to follow the rule of 'tomorrow's a fresh day' so don't want it followed onto the next day!! I have tried doing all this in a short space of time and also tried it in a longer space of time to see if they were just being too rushed or being given too much time and therefore able to mess around.
    So, please, has anyone got any ideas as I am willing to try anything to make home time less stressful!!
    Thank you for any suggestions!!

2. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

I do it in much the same way. However my two helpers for that day put book packs, letters etc out on tables ready, this reduces sitting and waiting time.
    I send children who need to collect their packed lunch boxes from the dining room first and then look for smart sitters etc.
    Each day I choose a 'Leader of the Line' ch'n know what they have to be doing if they want to be picked. The Leader then chooses a table at a time to line up in the corridor ready to go.
    Some days are better than others and there are definately some days when its all felt a bit fraught and noisy!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Do you still have an afternoon playtime? If you do it's easy- children get ready with bookbags , coats etc before playtime-playtime is shorter if they fuss/chatter etc. If not do it well ahead of time ( Music- to be finished within a set time will help),then when they come in from playtime/ have done that have some carpet/ calm activity(one they want to do) and send then off by tables on a strict rota. Table 1 well done all ready off you go / Table1 not all ready well you'll have to wait till the end so table 2 off you go . . . Rotate tables so Tues start with table 2 first Wed Table 3 etc and have rewards when it's their turn to go first and they do.
    Hope that's of some help.

4. Agree with the other posters that perhaps you need to give out some jobs to help organise so the children have less opportunity to faff. When all bags and books are handed out could you read a story? Or better yet put a tape/cd on so you can hand out letters, find lost items and glare at children talking?
    Also if you're concern that some are taking the mick because they think they cant be punished, could you speak to parents? I know that seems extreme for just a little chattering but you could just say 'I just want to explain why he's so late out...' and then explain to the parent, or whoever picks them up about your 'fresh start' policy and you didnt want X to go home thinking its acceptable to talk at going home time. Just a short sharp shock to this child and proof to the rest of the class that you will follow up disobedience.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think the order you are doing this is causing you the problem. Once children have their coats and bags then they are in going home mode and so won't listen to you. They aren't being naughty as such, just being 6!

I assume you have a story at the end of the day. Give out letters while still on the carpet, while they are still calm and settled. Then send them a few at a time (those sitting quietly go first) to get coats and bags and line up. Then take the line out. There is no point trying to get the line quiet, it will just stress you out. Once they have coats and bags, you need to get them out asap. Don't try and make them listen to you for anything much at all.

Do children need to line up after getting their bits and bobs? Mine get their coats and bags while I go to the outside door. Then they just come and join me there and I let them go to parents. Then all parents can see that their little darling is late out because they are chatting and it is nothing to do with me. Also those who are ready quickly get to go straight away.

6. Put your clock forward 10 minutes and dont tell them. When it gets to hometime, tell them that you will not be opening the door until they are ready. Proceed to wait. Tell them however many minutes you have to wait, they will be in at playtime tomorrow.
    Harsh, but it might work! I think you need to be firmer, and follow it through the next morning with a 'lecture' if need be. Being calm at home time is an issue for safety, I cant tolerate them being noisy and energetic because it distracts me from dismissing them to the right people.

7. I tend to do a story at their seats at the end of the day. While they're listening to the story I have 3-4 kids at a time tiptoeing getting ready to go home (coat, bookbag, collection of rubbish that they've accumulated for the day in their tray) then they tap another person on the shoulder who can go and get their things. Because most of them are distracted by the story, and the ones getting their things want to get ready and back in time to hear the rest of the story it tends to mean things snowball quite quietly until about 90% of the class is sorted and ready and sat at their table by the time the story's finished (I add in a rule about how you don't tap someone on the shoulder who's doing the ridiculous "pick meeeee" thing).
    Works quite well for a quiet end to the day on supply - and if things work for supply generally they work better for an established class teacher!

8. Rock chick0

Rock chick0 New commenter

Thank you Minnieminx....I will try some of these ideas. I think I also need to accept that they don't need to be perfect;y quiet at the end of the day! Thanks