1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Home Schooling tutor

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by thebluehouse, Jul 8, 2019.

1. thebluehouse

thebluehouse New commenter

I am considering setting myself up as a home school tutor.

Has anybody had any experience of this that they could share? How much to charge, how to launch myself and any success stories very much appreciated.

Thank you

2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I've tutored some children who were being home schooled although that has always been a minor part of my tutoring. Most is after school and on Saturday, providing extra help for pupils who are at school. I doubt if you could make a full time job out of teaching home schooled children.

What age would you hope to teach and what subjects would you be offering?

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Apart from the parents who are "encouraged" to home-school their kids rather than them ending up permanently excluded, most home-schooling parents are fine with much of the curriculum, particularly at primary level - you don't take it on if you're not confident to deliver most things. The need tends to be more at GCSE level and for subjects that need a bit more subject-specific expertise. Home-schooling parents often don't have a huge amount of money to spend - they've already given up one income, and having to pay their own exam entry fees doesn't help.

There may be a home-schooling network in your area - they may be able to tell you what there's demand for (or they may be quite happily trading expertise between themselves).

4. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

I work through an agency as a 1 to 1 SEN LAC tutor. These young people are in the care system and have moved areas to get a place at a care setting and have not yet been enrolled at a school. This tuition takes place during the day. Pay ranges from £20 - £28 per hour and takes place during the day.

5. woody9

woody9 New commenter

Are you able to tell us which agency you work for? It sounds like interesting work! Do you get enough work?

6. bramblesarah

I love it. Lots of agencies do it. If you ask about SEN / LAC tuition work or Google it. You have to be able to teach 'core subjects' I always teach Maths, English and Science but I know other tutors just do Maths and English. Agencies have always asked me to commit to 5 days a week, but I know other tutors do less days. It's was tough to break into but now I get enough work. I have work all the way up to the last day of school which is rare with supply. Agencies tend to have one office in the country that deals with it. The TES agencies in Manchester. The agency with the same name as a plant in Preston. The agency with the name that's kind of like being rich in Leeds (there the best)

7. bramblesarah

Further to my previous post the agency I work for just rung me about taking on more work and said they have a number of students at the moment and no tutors if anyone is looking for daytime work in the Lancashire area.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Read my lips - BE VERY CAREFUL