1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Home schooling phonics help?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mumscool, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Hi everyone! I am currently homeschooling my 2 children whilst we are out of the UK. I'm new to this site and have so far found lots of resources for my daughter (KS2) but I am having problems trying to find phonic information for my son. He is nearly six and would have been starting year 1 in September. I have been building on the sounds he worked on at school but wondered if there wa a list as to what order the others should be taught? He has done ch, sh, ng, ee and I have done oa, ff, ss, ll, oo, or with him. Can anyone point me in the right direction and also let me know if I'm heading in the right direction. Many Thanks. Em [​IMG]

2. Hi everyone! I am currently homeschooling my 2 children whilst we are out of the UK. I'm new to this site and have so far found lots of resources for my daughter (KS2) but I am having problems trying to find phonic information for my son. He is nearly six and would have been starting year 1 in September. I have been building on the sounds he worked on at school but wondered if there wa a list as to what order the others should be taught? He has done ch, sh, ng, ee and I have done oa, ff, ss, ll, oo, or with him. Can anyone point me in the right direction and also let me know if I'm heading in the right direction. Many Thanks. Em [​IMG]

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. hurny

hurny New commenter

It seems your son was taught with Letters and Sounds at school.You can download the L&S document from the DFE site, but it is a bit long-winded. Jolly Phonics is also taught in a similar way. If you type in Jolly phonics on Google, you will find the progression of sounds to be taught.
    There are lots of different phonics websites, most correspond with L&S.
    http://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/ParentsMenu.htm
    https://www.tes.co.uk/MyPublicProfile.aspx?uc=1063769&parametrics=primary,40069,40456,40479
    http://www.letters-and-sounds.com/phase-3.html
    Be prepared for a possible phonics debate in this thread Em, as it is quite a contentious issue on this forum!
    .......from another 'Em'. [​IMG]

5. Thanks for the links! I wouldn't want to start a debate...I'm a parent wanting to make sure my kids stay up to date with what they are supposed to be learning. If they do have to return to mainstream schooling in the future I want them to be able to fit back in and not struggle.
    Thanks again Em [​IMG]

6. Hello.
    My website was originally built with home educating parents in mind - I was an HE'er myself many moons ago.
    I provide a great deal of information about teaching reading and a comprehensive resource section.
    www.dyslexics.org.uk

HTH