1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Home reading records Y1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bernardbernard, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Anyone got any great home reading records?? I want to revamp ours but am not sure what i want- basically the children read but nobody fills in the record book, I want to make it more user friendly.

2. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I completely agree. I'm actually thinking of not using them next year. I'm in yr2 and in a very good area with extremely pushy parents, so can't see it going down well, but like Minnieminx, I hear them read at school, I don't need to read a comment from mum saying they read well! I only open up reading records to read comments about changing levels etc, but I wish I didn't because at the end of the day I'll move up them up a level when I think they're ready, not their parents! Seriously considering not having them next year, just not worth it

3. Before I came into education and when my children were little the reading diary was the one thing on a daily basis that I could judge how my children were doing at school. I still read stories to them every day and they read their own books. I would be horrified if I thought a teacher wasn't interested in my comments. I also felt I was doing my bit by listening to them read and making it a special important time for us both. I always felt happy that the teacher responded to my comments and took my opinions on board. Ofsted make a big deal over communication with parents and the reading record/diary is a very important one. If you had been my child's teacher I would make a big song and dance so beware and wait for the fireworks!
    I love the idea of a record which contains a space for the child to comment. I think I will be taking that on board too. Thank you for the idea!

4. rainbowdrop86

The difference is that we don't use the record as teachers. I don't write anything in it at all so to me it is a seemingly pointless activity!

5. Why don't you write in them? Don't you find comments from parents helpful?

6. rainbowdrop86

Not helpful at all. Typical comments are 'read well', 'enjoyed this book', 'got stuck on some words but kept going', 'struggled'. When I hear them during guided reading in school, these comments from parents aren't useful at all

7. Parents write similar comments in our reading records, but I write in them too and I know quite a few parents find them useful. For example, I will note how he/she read, what we talked about, whether they enjoyed it. I also write about their strengths and what they need to focus on when reading. Some parents will comment on which books their child enjoyed and what they talked about and I will make comments back. I find them a good way to communicate with parents, although not all parents choose to use them. It is also useful for keeping up with who is being heard at home and who isn't. I know I found them useful as a parent too.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

mine are more interesting
    Tyrone dun read gud [​IMG]

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Fruitloop I am soooo pleased to see it isn't just me. I know reading diaries have been used forever in KS1, but I am really struggling this year to see the point. Given a choice I wouldn't use them next year either.
    When would I write in them? In GR time we don't read the reading books and I have to keep my own records. I don't actually have the time then to hear all the group read, ask and answer questions, lead a discussion, fill in our school records AND write in a diary to parents.

Parents' comments not helpful at all. Examples are similar to the ones given my fruitloop and Msz. No earthly use to me at all. Children are more than capable of telling me if they liked the book or found it easy/hard when I take them to change their book. I don't need to read it in a diary.

I've managed half a year with no comments from me in diaries. Parents and HT have all seen this and no fireworks yet!

10. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Why don't you stop sending books home while you're at it too?!! The few that read them at home are probably only trying to read them because they feel they should write about it in the reading record. And the ones that don't write in the reading record are probably being honest because their child wouldn't or couldn't read the book and they don't want to confess this to the teacher. If there's no link between the books that go home and what goes on in school why bother?
    Or you could look at things the other way round and say that if you were following a half-decent phonics scheme in reception and year 1 you would have the children reading books at home and at school that you the teacher, the children and the parents would value. And probably by half -way through year 1 the majority would be reading some decent material really quite well if they started the scheme in reception.
    At an independent school near here the guided reading book is sent home in year 1. The reading is done at home ready for discussion the next day. This saves the painful round the table reading. In the daily guided reading session itself it's discussion that takes place rather than the decoding of the book. That sounds like a good idea too. If the book is interesting and going to be discussed in a group the next day maybe more children would read it at home? At the moment it sounds like the children have no reason to think that it is important whether or not they read at home, and the books are clearly not interesting the majority of them.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

mystery10, is that aimed at fruitloop and me who don't use reading diaries in school?

Our children do read good books at home and school, just the reading scheme ones at the lower levels aren't really in that bracket. Hence we don't use them in GR sessions, there isn't much to talk about. However it is useful for the lower level readers to practise decoding, so such books do have their place.

If every single child in every single reading group could read at home every single night, then your description of how the indie school works would be save time for us as well. However, that isn't the case in our school, and I would expect isn't true in most state schools.

Not using a reading diary to write in as a teacher does not equate to not valuing reading. Nor does it mean children don't want to read or can't read. A discussion with the child about reading, and occasionally with parents, is just as good.

If you listed all the different 'subjects' we do in a week in our class and asked children to choose their top 3, I guarantee that GR would feature in almost all the choices.

Children in my class have (scarily!) also made more progress in reading, in all measures of progress, than all other classes in the school this year. So I can't be doing anything very terrible.