1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Home-made Yorkshires...is it worth it for just one person?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bethannie, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I live alone. However I do enjoy the occasional roast dinner. (A treat I indulge in all the more frequently over the past year or two since I acquired a cooker and freezer!)
    Most of the dinner is home-cooked - but the exception is the Yorkshires.
    I <u>can</u> make up a batch of pudding-batter, and I do if I'm making something like a clafoutis.
    However, for a roast dinner, when I just want one (or maybe 2!) little puddings to complete the dinner, I go for a well-know frozen brand....ok it's Aunt Bessie!
    I've been thinking, maybe I could whisk up a batch and cook maybe a dozen at a time and freeze them. But is it worth it? Is the taste of a crisp home-made Yorkshire, really all that superior?...and not just the taste...I like crunchy on the outside and a little soft/chewy inside...and ever so slightly burnt!
    I make my own dumplings, is it just laziness stopping me making Yorkshires?

2. I think you definitely need to make your own Yorkshire puddings. I've not tried ready made brands but cannot imagine they are anywhere as good as homemade. If they freeze ok then there's the solution.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

There was a lengthy thread on this a while back on Personal (will try to find it). It seems Tessers are divided into two camps....Aunt Bessies and Homemade.
    Personally homemade wins every time so I'd make a batch and freeze them (but in my house I could make a hundred and eleventy twelve yorkies and they'd all get scoffed so wouldn't get near the freezer!)

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Here it is
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/460028/6356046.aspx#6356046

5. We were at a friend's house for Sunday lunch quite recently, roast beef, yorkshires etc....eldest daughter (8 at the time) proceeded to eat 9 yorkshires, it's fair to say my ganets are huge fans of homemade yorkshires. They're not so keen on yorkshires made with gluten free flour though so I have to go without [​IMG]

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Thanks Belle!

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

It might be a question of the quantity of batter you'd make to go with the egg and get the consistency right - too much for one person that's putting you off. What else could you do with it? How about making some kidney toad in the hole tomorrow?
    I think it's essential to make your own. The frozen ones are like cardboard.
    I have in the past experimented by adding spring onions to the tray, and cooking for a moment before adding the batter. They get lifted up to the top as the puddings rise. Has anyone else tried adding another flavour to theirs?

8. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

I make them for one - Mrs S is Coeliac and GF flour makes **** Yorkshires.
    Never wasted

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

A disgusting dish served for supper at my Home Economics training college was 'savoury batter'. Lunchtime leftovers chopped up and cooked ina tray of batter!! YUK.

10. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Ok, quite tasty, but nothing to write home especially about in a roast, as I tend to spice up the gravy a bit anyway.
    I think ginger batter has excellent prospects for other dishes that need batter. Fried fish in particular.

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

If you have space to freeze spares I'd go for it: if not. it seems like a waste and I wouldn't bother personally

H

12. Hiw about using some of the batter to make the Yorkies and use some of whats left to make pancakes?

13. I was going to suggest pancakes or a toad in the hole the next day. They do freeze brilliantly and are lovely and crispy when reheated in a hot oven. I have never tried freezing the batter. Perhaps that might be an option. If you pour a little oil in some of those little foil cartons and then pour on some batter and freeze. Stick in a really hot oven. Am sure it would work. Might have to try it myself.