1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Home made oven/hob cleaner

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jo_south_yorks, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Just after some 'recipes' for home made cleaners really. I don't want to spend a few quid on a bottle of spray that is full of chemicals if my cupboard staples will do the trick!
    I'm assuming vinegar/lemon juice and something else will probably work but just wondered if any one had a tried and tested 'recipe'??
    Thanks
    JSY x

2. Bicarb and vinegar. Polish off with lemon juice.
    The vinegar stinks like heck though[​IMG]

3. Wont be as bad as the smell of the oven at present. Friends have been over quite frequently recently, and cooking sausages, chips, roast potatoes and who knows what else (using a lot of lard for roasties) has left my oven in a sorry state :( I don't mind vinegar smell if lard smell goes away lol.
    Make a paste with the vinegar and bicard? leave it on for any specific period of time?
    JSY x

4. I'm due to tackle mine tomorrow, I just mix the vinegar and bicab, slosh it around liberally and scrub with a non-abrasive scrubber-thing.
    I do leave it for a while whilst it fizzes away.
    Yes, I'd rather smell vinegar than lard!
    Good luck

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

6. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

7. Indeed, probably the oldest, effective, scourer around. Probably need to be careful on scratchable surfaces though[​IMG]

8. Don't bother doing it all at once, do it the slow way. The first use should cut the lardy smell!
    3 tsp bicarb in a 1L spray bottle, filled with water and shaken to dissolve all bicarb.
    Spray liberally on a COLD oven. Use oven as normal. The bicarb should break down the carbonny gunk - the bottom of the oven gets very messy but it should be mailny dry and easily sweep outable.
    Repeat many times without EVER wiping the sides, the bicarb needs to build up enough to cope with howerver much carbonny gunk you have accumulated.
    Don't worry about the food you cook - bicarb is food grade and used in lots of foods.
    The idea is that you spray until all the gunk sort of gives up and hits the bottom of the oven - just one wipe and it's all gone.

If the bottom of the oven is grows, sprinkle bicarb and spray with water and then just leave it to get on with it!
    I usually spray the oven after every use and have a silicon sheet in the bottom to catch drippy bits, it goes through the dishwasher every now and then!

You can clean oven dishes like that too! Spray on and leave between uses, wipe just before you use it! Hey ho!

You can probably tell I use bicarb a lot!!

9. Like the sound of this method.
    Pobble, just out of interest, where can you get large packs of bi-carb? I can only find the 'spice-rack' sized containers.
    Would washing soda crystals work, I wonder?

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There's an excellent oven cleaner available in Currys.

It's called a new oven. We use it about once every twenty years ;-)

11. Yes you can, but as they are, or used to be, restricted - naughty people use it to make their drugs go further- you have/had to give your address with each purchase.
    If you go a chinese supermarket you'll find it, Wilkinsons sell it i in big boxes or even tubs as do Boots (though they may order it in for you). I think it also comes from soap making websites- it is the fizz in a bath bomb, as is citirc acid also available in large amounts.
    I buy mine from various green cleaning sites, I price watch..
    http://www.summernaturals.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=80
    http://www.thegreenstoreonline.co.uk/default.aspx/Page/97/Product/162

I usually put some in a pot in the fridge and then recycle that as a general cleaner, anything which doesn't need the deoderising action. The rest I use in squillions of other cleaning bits and baking!

DO NOT use soda crystals - no, never, too caustic by far!

12. Thanks for that Pobble! [​IMG]
    In the US they sell big packs of bicarb exactly for the reason you suggest - fridge deoderiser!
    And MSBus [​IMG]

13. Thank you very much Pobble!!
    I saw the first reply (I apologise I have forgotten in the last 20 seconds who that was) and so went shopping after Uni on Friday. Managed to pick up baking powder not bicard (next to each other one the flipping shelf!) and so didn't end up doing that plan. Rang my grandma (font of knowledge with anything to do with cooking/cleaning/household stuff/sewing etc etc etc!!!) and she said that vinegar washing up liquid and boiling water would be a quick fix. So I did just that and it sort of worked.
    However, I shall get some bicarb next time I go shopping, and get a spray thing from a diy shop too.
    Is it alright to just leave in the bottle with the rest of my cleaning stuff in the cupboard under the sink? Or should it go in the fridge?
    JSY x

14. It won't need fridging, just a good shake to re dissolve the bicarb before each use.
    If you google bicarb and cleaning you will find a wide range of 'how to...' sites. It is amazing that we ever use chemical/scented stuff when water, vinegar, lemon juice (bottled is fine) and some essentail oil does just abot everything you need, short of bleach - though add bicarb to bleach and see what happens. Limescale removal is white vinegar and bicarb and, on non-stick stuff, foil and bicarb is almost magic!
    Oh, and citric acid does loos well, leave overnight...
    Soda crystals are great for kettles and washing machines, even coffee makers, but rinse well. I put soda crystals in the washing machines with towels ona boil wash!
    There are so many uses for such a small list of things.

15. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

I know this is a very old thread but what an exciting one to rake up again!!

Anyway with torrential rain pouring down this afternoon I thought I might have a go at my oven. I just wondered for those that are using bicarb. can you put it on the supposedly self cleaning sides of the oven when they have turned black with baked on fat etc.

Or what else would you do with the sides? Most bought oven cleaners always say not for the self cleaning parts.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Recent blood tests have shown that I am deficient in bicarb. I feel like a dirty oven after reading this thread!

17. May2 - my oven is self clean - which is the reason I went looking for a bicarb solution in the first place.

Nutella, I'm not sure I have a solution for that [​IMG] I hope you get clean soon!

18. 576

576 Occasional commenter

I got a new oven and the instructions say to clean it after every use.

Whilst I don't do that I have found so far that a wipe over with a damp soapy sponge once a week has kept it good as new for the last 10 months.

Little and often is the key to cleaning.

19. tidal

tidal New commenter

I like the chemical versions as they do a good job with very little effort

Though I miss being able to buy agua forte

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'll just have to soldier on unbicarbonated.