1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Home-made mince pies are supposed to be cheaper!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by intheken, Dec 6, 2011.

1. My local Tesco 'Supermarket' sells Tesco Mincemeat (for mince pies) for £1.20 for a 411g jar. My local Tesco Express (1.1 miles from the larger store) sells it for £0.30p!!!!

Anyone else noticed price differences like this in shops from the same chain but in different locations??

2. My local Tesco 'Supermarket' sells Tesco Mincemeat (for mince pies) for £1.20 for a 411g jar. My local Tesco Express (1.1 miles from the larger store) sells it for £0.30p!!!!

Anyone else noticed price differences like this in shops from the same chain but in different locations??

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I'm sure the 30p is a mistake in labelling, but buy in lots, it does keep and you can sell it on at 60p a jar.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Buy lots and send some to me! No time to make my own mincemeat this year [​IMG]
    Bargain!

5. No, it's definitely not a mistake. My local express store has about 50 items that are significantly lower in cost than the bigger store. I contacted Tesco and they said that prices per unit were set and then local costs are added based on 'locally determined' costs and that was why promotions are advertised as 'in participating stores only'.

I bought loads as I usually bake around 300 mince pies at this time of year and I just don't have the time to make my own. [​IMG]

6. Happy to do so!

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I live in London so things are more expensive here but it depends on where you shop a lot of the time. I do my best to support local shops and markets - if they know you well enough, I've found they will knock a bit off the price because they know you'll come back. My butcher and fishmonger also give me the most extraordinary deals sometimes!

8. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

411g jar ? They used to be 454 g ( 1lb in imperial ) !
    Now that's another disguised price rise: drop the sizes down but charge the same ......

9. I'm from London and I've never agreed with this.

Property sure but everything else not so much.

Living in London was the cheapest I have ever lived. I always found that public transport was better and meant I didn't have to use a car as much also I never had to go far to get to anything so didn't even need public transport that much.

A greater selection of shops always meant lots of local competition.

The area I lived in was reasonably priced property wise so that was quite good. I live in Bristol now and my monthly outgoings (inflation and price rises taken into consideration) are about 15% higher than they were when I lived in London or would be if I still lived there.

10. Cor blimey, Ken! That's a lot of pies. [​IMG]
    I know I'm being nosy, but what do you do with them and how many 'batches' can you get in your oven per go?
    My oven is puny and I reckon I'd probably only get a maximum of 20 done at a time, so 300 would take me forever.

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I can do 48 using both ovens, that is if I had the bun tins to cook them in and a 3rd shelf for the oven, not sure think I have got one. I always try to get an extra shelf when buying a new oven or cooker.

12. It is [​IMG]
    Every year I make members of my family a baked treat box. Two of my sisters, one of my brothers, my mother and my mother in law all get a box with mince pies, cake pops, iced ginger cake and stained glass ginger snaps (and if I can be bothered, which is rarely, I also make Lebkuchen).

I can have 24 baking at any one time and they only take 20 minutes so I get about 48 done per hour and probably do the 300 over two days as I also have cake pops, cakes and biscuits to make. Although the iced ginger cake I usually only make two because they are massive and then I cut them to size before icing so it looks like I've made 8 individual cakes but I've really only made 2.

The biscuits are quite easy. Once the mix is made it probably makes about 200 biscuits and I just need to give it a quick roll and cut out the shapes. Straight onto the baking tray and in the oven for 8 minutes.

I keep at least 48 of the mince pies for just me and the missus. They keep for a good three weeks so I make them about 10 days before Christmas and they keep 'til NY (if we don't eat them all that is!)

13. Wow, I am mightily impressed, Ken - you're a baking titan!
    That's such a nice thing to do, though. [​IMG]
    *imagines how amazing Ken's kitchen must smell during all that baking* [​IMG]