1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Home made mayo

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Feb 13, 2012.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yesterday I decided to make my own mayo, even though there was a perfectly good jar of Hellman's in the fridge.
    What a performance! I kid you not it took so long to make (by hand) it would have been quicker to get in the car, drive to Sainsbury's, buy a jar and drive home again.
    Yes, it tasted lovely (and was a reminder of quite how much fat in is mayo when you see how much you pour in!) but I'm ot sure I'll bother again. I've better things to do with my time!

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

When I buy Mayo it has to be Hellman's! (Is there any other brand?!)
    I did homemade anchoiade last year...not using a processor, but a pestle and mortar...half an hour of bashing it!...(anchovies and garlic smashed to a paste and then continual bashed whilst adding drops of oil)...it did taste amazing though.
    Would I do it agian? Maybe....as a treat.... but certainly not on a regular basis. As you say Belle...life is too short!

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I think it is worth the effort in terms of taste but when I think of all the other things I could be doing, it can seem like a bit of a waste of time.

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I think this is an opportune moment to recommend a pestle and mortar I bought last year from the Professional Cookware shop at the Ashford Outlet Centre.
    I had previously been struggling with one my wife bought as a gift of a day out with one of our daughters. Style over substance as many things are, this was made from polished onyx and relied more on bashing than grinding. Sadly, the previous one we had disappeared before the onyx one was used. I was most grateful when my wife dropped the pestle onto the kitchen tiles when she was washing up and broke most of the handle off.
    So having been dragged off the the outlet centre by my wife and daughter, I idly wandered into this shop, as any self-respecting cook would have done, to browse the stock. I found they had some impressive looking pestle an mortars made from granite and in a range of sizes. The larger ones were massive, I can't imagine what you would use them for other than ornaments so I chose one of the smaller ones which has a bowl diameter of around 100mm and a wall thickness of about 15mm. I think it cost about £13. It weighs a ton, but what a joy to use. No bashing, just a little pressure and it grinds perfectly.
    I also bought a pizza stone there for my barbecue for about £10, which looks very similar to the ones Weber sell for £25. I used it once last year, and have to admit the result was disappointing, but I blame this on my lack of experience in using them and the pre-made Napolina pizza bases I ordered from Tesco the day before my daughter next visited. I used it in the oven to cook some bread thing or other with better results. Come the better weather, I'll learn how to use it properly on the barbecue. I'm sure it's all about getting it to the correct temperature before you start cooking on it.

5. BelleDuJour

Yes.
    And yes!

6. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I personally haven't made mayonnaise since the salmonella egg problem, but it's so quick and easy in a food processor.

7. BelleDuJour

I used an electric hand mixer.................too much effort to get the food processor out and all dirty just for half a pint of mayo!
    I'm sticking to Hellman's in future.
    BTW..............the salmonella scare was ages ago!

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

And largely nonsense. Poor eggs. The harm that was done to their reputation by that Curry woman. At least now the relevation that she had sex with John Major [​IMG] has outstripped any notoriety she incurred throughout the eggs fiasco.

9. BelleDuJour

Indeed.....I'm not sure I'll be taking advice from someone who shagged John Major!
    Anyway...................we ate mayo made with eggs from my own chickens and we're all still very much alive and kicking! [​IMG]

10. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

Oh I know it was years ago but I have got out of the habit and rarely use mayo these days. In fact I rarely use the processor these days either. Like you, too much faffing about with cleaning all the bits. But I do use it when making quiches. Pastry, grating the cheese and mixing the eggs and milk.
    I also make tirimasu occasionally, which of course uses raw eggs, though always free range.
    Lucky you having your own chickens. I grew up on a farm and the free range eggs sold in supermarkets never taste as good.

11. impis

impis New commenter