1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Home made goodies for Crimbo

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Dec 19, 2010.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

This afternoon we have made spiced nut, peppermint cream, fudge, mince pies.
    Still to come: speculoos, marzipan fruits, chocolate brazils and chocolate apricots

Is anyone else deep into home-made (esp with the kids) this Christmas?
    Also, does anyone have a GOOD recipe for Turkish Delight? I have tried 4 or 5 over the years and always end up with sticky mess!

2. So far we have made:
    biscuits, biscuits, biscuits (they seem to be coming out of my ears, we must have baked hundreds).
    Stollen.
    A gingerbread house and gingerbread men (ok, some are women but they are wearing trousers).
    Sadly, no mince pies as no mincemeat this year.
    Lemon curd (yes, very Christmassy but we seem to do this every Christmas)
    A trial run of trifle (as daughter wants to make it on her own for Daddy's birthday on Christmas day).
    Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer muffins.
    And I am another one who is desperate for a good TD recipe as, like you, I always end up with a sticky mess (even worse than the sticky gingerbread mess).

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

I thought you might have a famliy recipe!

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

There is a family recipe (Greek delight, technically but I can't tell the difference!) but its traditionally taught to the women of the family after they get married...I'm not that far off but not quite there yet! Come back to me at Christmas 2011!

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

I'll hold you to that!

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Tomorrow I am making Nigella's Sweet and Salty Crunch Nut Bars. I have some lovely Poinsettia printed bags so I can make a couple of bags up for Christmas pressies.
    I am also going to get the Christmas Pudding Ice cream into the freezer.
    The rest of tomorrow's cooking is going to be more boring practical bits - stuffing, soup etc....

7. Not a great deal of variety here. We have a lovely looking Christmas cake and are onto our second batch of mince pies, one each made by my daughters, who now know how to make pastry.