1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Home learning ta qualifications

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by steffw89, Feb 7, 2012.

1. steffw89

steffw89 New commenter

Hi, im a graduate of English and would eventually like to be a teacher but due to current financial situation it isnt possible so would love to be a TA as soon as possible as i hate the job i am in now. I have emailed pretty much every school within 20 miles asking them what qualifications they require from a new TA and have spent many fruitless hours on the phone with my LCC trying to get a straight answer as i have been looking at home learning NCFE courses in level 2 or 3 and i have no idea whether i need to be going for a level 2 or a level 3 and i have even read on some forums that home learning courses are not as accepted as those in a classroom or that an NCFE creditation is not as good as a CACHE creditation. like i said i am new to this world and am slightly intimidated by all this terminology when all i really want to do is start my career somewhere and start doing a job i enjoy. Any help that anyone could give me about home learning courses would be much appreciated as i really am starting to get desperate =)

2. steffw89

steffw89 New commenter

Hi, im a graduate of English and would eventually like to be a teacher but due to current financial situation it isnt possible so would love to be a TA as soon as possible as i hate the job i am in now. I have emailed pretty much every school within 20 miles asking them what qualifications they require from a new TA and have spent many fruitless hours on the phone with my LCC trying to get a straight answer as i have been looking at home learning NCFE courses in level 2 or 3 and i have no idea whether i need to be going for a level 2 or a level 3 and i have even read on some forums that home learning courses are not as accepted as those in a classroom or that an NCFE creditation is not as good as a CACHE creditation. like i said i am new to this world and am slightly intimidated by all this terminology when all i really want to do is start my career somewhere and start doing a job i enjoy. Any help that anyone could give me about home learning courses would be much appreciated as i really am starting to get desperate =)

3. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

Accepted qualifications vary from LEA to LEA and from school to school, often depending on what the HT wants for an individual position.

Look at TA job adverts in your area, that may give you an idea of what minimum is required.
    Are you aware of the pay structure for your LEA? Most only pay 44 weeks (39 school + 5 holidays), some only pay for the hours you work.

Have you volunteered at schools?
    Do you have experience of working with school aged children?

In my area there are no TA vacancies at the moment, so I'm volunteering and doing the odd day of supply work.

4. Hi. I have just completed a Cache QCF Level 2 supprting teaching and learning in schools qualification so am now a qualified TA. I did the course through my local college, had to attend one night a week and had to be in school a minimum of at least 10 hours a week. Before starting this course I had a quick look at the home learning route but was suprised at the ones that say you don't need to be in a school or just one day. The one's that don't assess you in the classroom I found odd too. And also some just don't seem to offer recognised qualifications

We spoke about this in our college class and our tutor basically said if a headteacher had 2 applications in front of them. one has a recognised qualification, has done a recognised course, has been observed in the classroom (I had 3 observations) has spent adequate time in school. The other hasn't done either. It's pretty obvious who they'll go for in a time when 100's of applications are probably sent for each job.

That's just my personal opinion. I would get volunteering with a school asap. As somebody else said, check job descriptions as well it will give you an idea of what qualifications schools like you to have. I did this and could see that I would just be wasting my time and money with some of the home learning courses.

Good luck with it all

Annabel

5. Hi

I would advise you not to do any home learning courses. I completed 3 home learning courses in childcare and received NCFE certificates. I have recently found out that the qualifications are not full and relevant or accredited. I now have to do further traiing. I have just started city and guilds supporting teaching and learning.
    I obtained this information from ofqual. If you want any more advice I would contact them