1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Home learning-are your students running out of steam?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sbkrobson, Jun 10, 2020.

1. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

This is not really a Dilemma, but too work related to belong in Personal.

Working at home for school, I've found since half term a marked decline in student performance in their home learning, a mix of dropped motivation, quality of work, and parental concern about them just not getting on with it. It's happened really suddenly. Many kids who initially submitted their stuff weekly have dropped off the radar, and plenty of them are mangling completion by missing bits or sending it back without even having written anything, (as if I wont notice.)
    I know the overall participation in school work has only ever been partial according to a survey posted in an earlier thread on here somewhere, but what I'm noticing is a marked difference from what went before, ie from 1st June compared to previously.

Is anybody else seeing this? Do you think it is to do with the usual end of year slackening off with the approach of Summer, or do you think it's all just too tiring to sustain? Or maybe kids are starting to feel lost without teacher input. Above all, should it be strategised by teachers at home, or should it be accepted?

I posted on here because I'd like to hear what others are finding. At home is such a weird bubble to work in if you have a general question like this.

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I posted a slightly similar thread earlier connected insofar as it's about kids not doing/doing work. Yes, I've seen a decline in effort and quality I would find it very hard if I were them to sustain interest fro this amount of time TBH. I'm now exploring other ways of delivering lessons (it's been non-video so far)

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yes - we need to get them back into school

FriarLawrence, boatie, gainly and 5 others like this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Couldn't agree more! Somehow, we need to get them back into the classroom … even if it has to be a week on/week off, they need structure and a regular routine.

moose2, Kartoshka, Gsr25 and 3 others like this.
  5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Some countries have brought in drive-in movies. We could have drive in lessons ?

sbkrobson and Catgirl1964 like this.
  6. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I'm finding it not too bad. Most of my classes (secondary) have around 80-90% of pupils completing work each week. No live lessons at all.

7. citct

citct New commenter

Really nice to hear; unfortunately have observed the opposite, from the start (of the year! "Pandemic" merely exposed it)

sbkrobson, agathamorse and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  8. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I'm a private tutor not a teacher, but I've definitely noticed a real drop in motivation and happiness over the last few weeks, even amongst hard-working, diligent students. Lord knows how theweaker students with no support are faring...

9. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

It's still about 75% of my classes doing the work. We don't do video lessons. The same 25% haven't done any since lockdown began.

10. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Well I felt a bit like I had warped into a cinema or a TV set the other day,when I had an online lesson with a group and one boy was gauping at the screen, absent-mindedly, stuffing monkey nuts into his mouth. It was really most disconcerting. I felt as though I was on the other side of someone's TV screen, rather than in a lesson? I sometimes think the general attitude towards education has followed other societal norms and its seen as 'entertainment' rather than active learning. Its all aboutwhat the teacher is going to do for them - they would have us do their work for them if they could Having said this, in this case the boy is bright and well mannered normally as are the rest of the children and they do interact and learn well. Just this one instance I thought " wow!" this is why there is this attitude towards teachers, because society actually doesn't want to d anything, wabts to dump personal responsibility onto professionals, wants no effort but maximum results and then when they don't get it it's the teachers' fault!"

What I do notice is the complete difference between Asian students and English ones. Bit of a generalisation butf rom personal evidence just saying what I have seen.
    English culture very lazy generally compared to some.

11. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Iknow what you mean. I have one class of 32, only 8 of them are diligently doing all the work. They are all Asian. Not very scientific but I do notice that these students also have a more positive attitude to all aspects of school

ACOYEAR8 and Ohwell like this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Thanks for the responses.
    Back to my main question, which was should we be doing something about it? Should we be giving an extra push when we see them disengage in this situation? Or should we take the view that it is fine to allow them the slack because they were simply wearying of the independence?
    I am currently in contact with students through three platforms, weekly to set and review work, and daily to pickup on individual queries. Should I ramp it up in proportion to them switching off eg add in some merits or well done messages to parents. Or directly hassle them a bit more if they've not done the stuff?
    I just find it a hard call to make. Perhaps for some of them, more teacher input constitutes pressure rather than help.

And I guess tbh Im a bit weary myself. It can take a number of hours to conduct an individual exchange with everyone in one class, whereas in school, you can speak briefly to literally all of them separately in the space of 20 minutes. But that's not really my main issue here...just tired from it today.

agathamorse and Kartoshka like this.
  13. GrammarBear

GrammarBear New commenter

Thank you OP for raising this it's being worrying me for sometime now. From all my classes Y7- Y9 I've got about 25%-30% completing tasks and the remainder just either ignoring altogether or looking at it and doing nothing. As an option subject I expect a big drop off from my Y8's. I really hope my Y9's in particular are doing the work in their books and not on TEAMS. I'm waiting for those above to come up with a coherent strategy particularly for my GCSE students. Policy currently is to not hassle with emails / phone calls etc. I have gone overboard praising those who complete work and with feedback. I too am tired offering support to help pupils/ parents then nothing happens!

14. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Our children have been fine but the novelty has rubbed off for our parents who are now getting slightly prickly whenever home learning is sent.

agathamorse and sbkrobson like this.
  15. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Policy in our place is also that individual.staff do not to hassle about missing work. I am praising those who are working. We have a central.system of recording who.is working .SLT are sending letters of praise home and phoning the worst slackers. We started on.line lessons this week and 90% of my year ten class joined in whereas maybe 30% had been doing work set on google classroom.Hopefully I will.get the exam question I asked them to do.by Friday.

16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Thank you for answering the question..
    I gave up on video lessons as there were so many hitches with sound//picture, from the side of the kids. There was more feedback about what did not work than about the content.
    The technology of distance lessons is so variable and patchy across the cohort that I cannot think of it any more as an inclusive way to share lesson content. Even bog standard emails don't cover every base as some kids are less literate, some don't know how to operate an email account, especially in y7, and a few have no internet access at all.
    Gawd, it's tiring considering you don't even have to go anywhere!

17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That's interesting, such a lot....the participation is great for them.
    Would also be interesting if we knew to what extent "joining in" equates to "learning".
    But reading between the lines in some posts, managers may find that question too pushy.

Edit-who posted those three comics from Ireland doing a sketch about a Zoom lesson, or similar? It was shortly after start of lockdown.
    Cheered me up that did. Very funny. Worth a repost if anybody knows the one I mean...?

18. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

You are totally right about that !

i post here on TEs, if you want to see how I've adapted...
    thinglink is definitely worth a shot as well.

sbkrobson likes this.
  19. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I only teach year 10 and 12. In year 10, participation started at around 75%, held steady for a few weeks, and then crashed. I would say it's been down to nearer 25%.

They're in a day a week from Monday, so they will get one lesson in school per subject this term; the rest will stay online. Interestingly, a live lesson today had 66% attendance, so I'm hoping that's going to pick up again. It'll also be interesting to see how much better the work is afterwards.

I've been doing at least fortnightly live lessons, some modelling on video, and some narrated powerpoints - but that's not been consistent across school. Yesterday I ended up doing a 1:1 lesson as no one else turned up. The student in question loved it but it wasn't a great use of my time.

agathamorse and sbkrobson like this.
  20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah, great tip, thanks. Just had a quick look.
    I'm a bit tired to trawl through atm. Would you mind giving a brief example how it has been most useful for you?