1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

home hair dye

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Helena Handbasket, May 1, 2011.

1. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I went blonde in December and about 2 weeks ago decided to do my roots at home (at a saving of £100). Worked well, I was happy and everything was fine.
    However, I've now decided I want to go back to dark brown again which is much closer to my natural colour. I was going to wait a few more weeks but I'm getting too impatient. Does anybody know if I would be alright to dye it a different colour this soon after the blonde?

thanks

2. Helena Handbasket

I went blonde in December and about 2 weeks ago decided to do my roots at home (at a saving of £100). Worked well, I was happy and everything was fine.
    However, I've now decided I want to go back to dark brown again which is much closer to my natural colour. I was going to wait a few more weeks but I'm getting too impatient. Does anybody know if I would be alright to dye it a different colour this soon after the blonde?

thanks

3. I do not think it is that easy

4. You can't just put brown dye one blonde hair. You will have o go through a process at the salon to darken it one step at a time

5. Helena Handbasket

hmmm, I was blonde from 13-19 and then got a dark brown put on at my hairdressers and it was fine. Then 2 years later I went blonde and then a few months later went really dark brown, almost black. Again that was done in one go at the hairdressers.

6. If you want awful coloured ruined hair then do it yourself at home. It's your choice at the end of the day! You've used two different processes on your hair so if you want one even colour it will need more than just a dye as it will react in different ways to your root and your lengths.

7. I think the important words there are "at the hairdresser's".

8. The blonde needs to be stripped off before the brown can go on. i believe

9. Helena Handbasket

even though I've gone from blonde to brown very successfully twice before without having it stripped?

10. I have, on occasion, used pre-lightener packs to strip colour from my hair before redying a different shade and it's always come out fine. However when I prelighten, I tend to stop at light or mid brown rather than blonde. I suppose the bigger a change hyou're making, the bigger the risk.
    However, if you do a strand test first to see what colour you're going to get, I don't see why you shouldn't dye at home. I'd recommend having an extra pack of dye handy though in case you don't get the desired results first time.

11. Even with strand tests and two packs of dye you'll have onenxolourbon your lengths an a different colour on your roots.

12. Helena Handbasket

Frantic searching on the internet seems to suggest I need to just do a red dye first and then put the brown on. That might be the stages you were talking about PFF?

I apologise if I seem like I am not listening to advice, I really am. I just don't see that my hairdresser did anything other than put brown dye on when I went from being blonde in the first place so I am confused as to why I couldn't just do that myself.

13. Hmmm. Assuming that means one colour on, then not usually, no.

14. Off you go then. Let us know how you go on.

15. I once spent hours in the hairdresser when I decided to go lighter. I had dark dye growing out and the professional advice was to have the length lightened and have "warm" lowlights in the roots to blend them in.
    Three hours and 80 quid later I emerged, the length of my hair not visibly lighter than before and the roots not visibly darker, just brassier if anything.
    that was the first time I went and bought a pre-lightener kit. I was much happier with the results of that and have never had colour in the hairdressers since.

16. Damn iPhone! Yes I meant one colour different to the other seeing as the chemicals used at the salon will differ to te home dye and both react in different ways.

17. Maybe you can

I would not risk it but I may just have been sucked in by the hairdresser so that I am hooked on my £100 every six week visits

18. Helena Handbasket

I am the same with my iphone PFF, it comes up with the oddest words on autocorrect. I presumed you knew something about the chemicals and that was the name of one of them!

That's the thing RF, home dye only costs £5 a box compared to £100 each time.

19. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I'm not an expert, but form what I've heard, it's not wise to put a dark colour straight onto bleached blonde hair. This is because there is little or no pigment in your hair meaning the colour will really 'stick' and give you a very dark colour; it can also result in your hair going a sort of greeny colour.
    From what I've seen of friends who've done it, they had to go to a reddish colour first to put pigment back into their hair without it going green, then after a while they could gradually add the brown.
    It's also wise to prep the hair very well by using a good moisturising treatment for a few weeks before dying it.
    Brunettes do it better, so however you go about it, returning to the natural brunette shade is always best!

20. That is what I am saying

Perhaps the hairdresser is lying to me in order to get my money