1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Home Economics controlled assessment marks 2012

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Autumn01, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Hi, would appreciate any help/advice with this- we have completed the home economics for the first time this year and have had the c/a marked down severely. we have got feedback (temporarily misplaced) and we have been told there is not enough practical work. I think they want us to prepare and cook 2 dishes in one hour? there is other feedback too. however, my feeling is that a much higher standard is needed than the food tech??
    having said that my food tech c/a was marked down by a mark. this is the first time this has happened in 10 years of teaching the subject, I suspect that they did this because of the home economics debarcle.
    also- does anyone else have to teach these subjects in one year with students from eyar 9 and 10 still measured against their end of year 11 targets? can anyone give me good news that this govt is going to put a stop to early entries?
    If I could stop teaching now I would, the whole system of targets from foundation upwards is meaningless.
    here's to another one!
    would appreciate any comments, ta

2. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

Hi Autumn, which exam board are you doing? Not sure about how you will have been marked down but could it be the dishes/ skills the students have chosen and or their preparation/ planning/ time sheets? You need to look at the moderator's feedback to know exactly where the marks were adjusted and why. If it is AQA, you could inbox me and I can help with comparisons? Is the 1-hour rule to do with your actual lesson time?

And no, we don't have to teach this exam in one year. How many lessons do you have a week and for how long?

3. thistledoo

"If I could stop teaching now I would, the whole system of targets from foundation upwards is meaningless."

Ps - Don't be disheartened. There will be a reason, I know it is disappointing... doesn't sound too good teaching it in a year... but then I don't know the actual amount of time you have had with the students. Trying to do skilful dishes in an hour isn't too good a situation either.

4. thistledoo

I have never heard of controlled assessment having a re-mark... mainly because it involves the practical element that is assessed by the teacher. The written folder evidence could be re-marked but I have no experience of the Welsh Board, sorry. Why don't you ring them and enquire?

5. H Norris

H Norris New commenter

Thank you both for your advice. Your thought about finding out if my daughter's work was sent in the sample is exactly what I was thinking. I do need to be careful as I don't want to undermine the teacher. I am just trying to do the right thing for my daughter. Maybe the best thing to do is to accept the grade given and look forward rather than back!
    Thanks for your help.
    Helen