1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Home Corner Furniture

Discussion in 'Primary' started by magicstar29, May 27, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I am moving to year 2 in september and will be setting up the area for the Foundation Phase. I am looking for some advice on furniture for a home role play area. I would like to have a cooker, fridge, washer etc but all the ones I can find are for nursery/reception age children and so are too small for 6 and 7 year olds!
    Does anyone know of a supplier where I can get larger items for my role play.

Thanks

2. Hi,
    I am moving to year 2 in september and will be setting up the area for the Foundation Phase. I am looking for some advice on furniture for a home role play area. I would like to have a cooker, fridge, washer etc but all the ones I can find are for nursery/reception age children and so are too small for 6 and 7 year olds!
    Does anyone know of a supplier where I can get larger items for my role play.

Thanks

3. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Can I just ask is your first topic about houses or homes?
    As I find it better to link your role play area to the topic your are teaching. So when doing pets we may have a vet. When doing fairytales, we have goldilocks cottage. For light and dark we have a cave. At other times we have a shop/market, a doctors, an opticians, a baby clinic, a garden shop etc. I always tried to include some form of writing opportunity in them.
    When my role play area was a home corner, I had: wooden cooker, fridge and washing machine, table and chairs. Pretend hoover and microwave. Dishes, play food, apron, oven gloves, labels and signs. An order pad or chores list. A small rug and cushions. A mini sofa. I really like the velcro food for children to use fine motor skills chopping them apart.

You can get role play area from any major supplier, but it depends on how much you have to spend. See NESArnold, TTS, your county supplier, GALT, or any other early years supplier.
    Also see the eary years section of TES.

4. Thank you for your quick reply. We will have a topic role play in addition to a home corner. All the catalogues in school have furniture which is to small so was hoping someone on primary might have an idea for a different supplier.

5. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I agree about the size too. These are a lot larger http://www.kidkraft.com/toys-and-playsets/kitchens/kitchens I know Costco sell them but usually the pastel ones not sure who else does.