1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holyrood Prog...

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by segbog, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Please don't judge me by your narrow standards. I have seen enough in this life to smell BS when it is about...I teach. I love it. I don't need an SMT post or a TV program to justify my existence. Your problem methinks.

2. I am sitting with stupid big fat tears in my eyes watching tonight's episode - those children were wonderful working in Malawi. And for what it is worth, the teachers I have seen have been inspirational and wonderful too. I hope I can make an impression like that in the years to come.

3. It's a TV show - what did you expect? I enjoyed it for what it was and frankly think most of the posters here are cynical, grumpy gits. I know who I'd prefer to work with.[​IMG]

4. I worked in Holyrood last year and the way in which the Headmaster is being portrayed is an absolute work of fiction. He is shown to be this approachable, caring, down to earth good guy who has the pupils' best interests at heart, when in reality he was an anti-social curmudgeon with zero social skills who spent the majorty of his time in his office. Not a single member of the department in which I worked had a good word to say about him. The programme is a load of sugar-coated drivel which does not accurately portray life at the school.

5. Well done you - I think you just might have started a witch hunt against your former colleagues.

6. issor2

issor2 New commenter

Eh? You must be getting saddle sores up there on your high horse mcmullet. I don't think
    what Kamikaze said equates to starting a witch hunt.

7. Right. You don't think folk at Holyrood will think about
    all the staff who worked there last year but have left now? You
    don’t think they'll be looking around and wondering which
    department doesn't have a good word to say about the HT?

If I said to everyone in Scotland "I worked at school X last
    year and every member of my department thought the heidie was an
    ****", I think there might be some questions asked. But
    you seem to have worked in very different schools than I have.

8. What Kamikaze said reassured me. I thought I was living in a different world.

9. I don't have any problems with what he said. His former colleagues at Holtrood might [​IMG]

10. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

****** - most of my friends in Holyrood think the same so the Stasi investigation will have to have a scorched earth policy approach!

11. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

TES Terms & Conditions
    Your agree to not use the Service to:
    post content which refers to individual schools, colleges or agencies - or their staff - whether by name, or identifiable by a pseudonym or any other means ...
    To make a comment about a broadcast TV programme is one thing.
    To start adding personal opinions about a named school, and identifiable staff, based on claimed teaching experience, what friends have told you and general hearsay is quite another.

12. If I have contravened the TES terms and conditions then that is unfortunate, and not something that I shall be repeating. However, with Holyrood being the biggest school in the country, and with its yearly staff turnover being stupidly high, nothing that I have said would identify a particular department, far less individual teachers.
    High School was a wonderful opportunity for the BBC to show the Scottish people what the daily routine is actually like for most teachers, and what we instead got was a saccharine, manufactured piece of nonsense which highlighted the good and ignored the bad. In a climate where respect for teaching as a profession is at an all-time low, with the public believing us to be a bunch of over-paid and over-privileged chancers, here was a chance for people to see what it is really like to teach in Glasgow's Secondary schools. Whilst many classes are indeed great it is also the case that a great many consist of good, honest and hardworking kids who are having their education compromised by out-of-control neds running riot. If the public had been shown the madness that some of us have to put up with day-in, day-out then this might have been the start of a turning point in attitudes regarding teachers. As it stands the programme was an affront to front-line teachers, as it glorified SMT as saints whilst showing little to nothing of what the majority of us actually do each day.

13. From what I hear Mr Kamikaze has quite accurately reflected the views from within the staff rooms at Holyrood.

14. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

Has anyone spotted any teaching, learning or real teachers yet?

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I never watched the tv programme being discussed, but from what has been said on this thread it sounds like it was as much value as Waterloo Road in terms of myth-busting, realism.

16. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Well, if any school is up for it why don't they put themselves forward for just such a TV programme showing how hard teaching can be.
    The problem, of course, is that teaching staff are unlikely to have control over how the footage is edited, the tone of the commentary or the way in which behaviour issues are presented unless they can find a very sympathetic production company.
    For all you know, such a 'realistic' programme could be used, and manipulated, to convince the public that teachers are 'a bunch of over-paid and over-privileged chancers' who can't do their job properly. There are plenty out there who believe it.
    It could also, of course, lead to legal action by parents if staff were seen to behave in a way that was less than professional and somehow I doubt if any LA employer would risk bringing their education service into disrepute.
    However, for once a TV programme focused on the positive in education and the contribution staff make to the lives of pupils. Perhaps it will get some parents thinking about how they can help their child by backing up schools and teachers. I suspect a 'warts and all' programme would simply reinforce long-established prejudices.
    Yes, of course, you can't condense a whole school year into three, one hour programmes and tell the whole story. The viewing public tends to be drawn in by 'human interest' stories so that's what TV production companies try to give them. Watching a heroic teacher battling to impart the finer points of algebra may appeal to some but I suspect it will have many more reaching for the remote control.
    So in short, it was just a TV programme. If you don't think it accurately reflected education you could always write to the BBC and suggest a follow-up programme, in another school, to show what some teachers have to put up with but I suspect there may not be any schools, or LAs, willing to co-operate.
    Or, if you can't be bothered, there's always the remote control.