1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holocaust denial survey

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jan 27, 2019.

1. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

Please indicate who I am libelling and what this libel is.

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I did not claim that, that is a lie.

I will continue discussing with you, perhaps, when you cease implying anti-Semitism by likening my posts with anti-Semitic things other people have done or said.

Have a nice day.

3. sparklesparkle

Do you deny writing: "From the ludicrously dubious statistics below I infer that Holocaust education charities are having trouble paying prestigious rents and managing generous expense accounts:" This is what you state in your opening post. Kindly do not accuse me of telling a lie. I have quoted exactly what you wrote.
    Again, the tone is interesting. Coupled with the accusation that I have told 'a lie', it is very interesting indeed.

Please provide evidence of where I have likened your posts with other things people have done or said. Please explain how I have implied anti-Semitism in these statements.

Your OP makes a number of financial inferences about a Holocaust charity funded by the UK government. I have asked you to provide justifications for these inferences but you will not do so. On today of all days, these inferences can't be left unexamined.

4. sparklesparkle

You stated: "The company who released these figures, Opinion Matters, does not appear to have a live website but is owned in parallel with a number of PR and marketing companies."

Do you acknowledge that you were wrong and they do in fact have a live website?

Can you link to evidence of who owns them please? Can you explain why this is relevant? Can you clarify please that you did not intend to question their credibility?

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

@sparklesparkleI I am no fan of Vince_Ulam and his often inflammatory threads but you do see to have had an unnecessarily vigorous reaction to them.

As neither of you has access to the study questions and methodology, nit-picking and second-guessing is futile. Suspecting the motive of the survey is not anti-semitism.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  6. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

I do think this statement (by the OP): "From the ludicrously dubious statistics below I infer that Holocaust education charities are having trouble paying prestigious rents and managing generous expense accounts" comes pretty close to the sort of material Holocaust deniers use to try and undermine knowledge and remembrance of the Holocaust.

sparklesparkle likes this.
  7. sparklesparkle

Do you also "infer that Holocaust education charities are having trouble paying prestigious rents and managing generous expense accounts"?

If so, can you please explain why?

8. Aquamarina1234

Vince has inferred. You inferred something different. I haven't inferred anything because I haven't read the study or the article. I'm only concerned that one of you is going overstep the outrage line and end up with yet another thread in the bin. This place is torpid enough with the hair-trigger litigation moderation. It's hard enough to discuss anything here that people feel strongly about as it is without the pair of you shouting libel.

nomad and Vince_Ulam like this.
  9. Vince_Ulam

He did it first, Miss!

10. sparklesparkle

I am not a 'he'. You stated :" I infer that Holocaust education charities are having trouble paying prestigious rents and managing generous expense accounts". If you can't provide evidence of their 'prestigious rents' and 'generous expense accounts' then this is indeed libel. Do you have evidence?

11. sparklesparkle

I've noticed that the OP used "lobbying" as a tag for this thread.

The Holocaust Memorial Day Trust is a government-funded charity whose purpose is "to promote and support Holocaust Memorial Day (HMD) in the UK". https://www.hmd.org.uk/about-us/

I invite the OP to explain how this survey is "lobbying", or why he used this word.

12. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

I really do wonder why posters start threads like this.

13. Vince_Ulam

I wonder why people reply to threads they do not understand.

14. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Glasshouses and stones?

sparklesparkle likes this.
  15. Vince_Ulam

I wonder why people reply to threads they do not understand.

16. sparklesparkle

I wonder why people won't explain themselves.

17. Aquamarina1234

Keep picking that scab.

18. sparklesparkle

Is this addressed to me? If so, please explain how I am picking a scab. Do you think the questions raised by the content of this thread should go unasked?

19. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

This is normal. Reputable polling organisations will however share this sort of information with appropriate parties, such as researchers, if requested. Sample size seems right for a national observation and judging from other reports the numbers question does appear to be multiple choice. There also seems to be further open ended questions in the survey.

20. Aquamarina1234

Vince, do you think the survey company falsified the results?