1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holocaust - Assessment??

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by flame108, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Thanks for feeling uncomfortable and reflecting on what you are teaching and how. There are survivors today who are probably still wondering what happened and why it happened to them. Some things are not easy to quantify. This probably doesn't help on assessment. If I had to do something like that, I'd get them to design a memorial to the Holocaust and explain the symbolism, etc.

2. I do a levelled assessment and an exam.
    If you want to PM me I can e mail you copies over.
    On the exam I use some pictures (tame ones) as stimulus for them to write theri feelings about what they've learnt.

I also teach about Rwanda and how we have not learnt from the Holocuast and they have to write a letter to the Prime Minister explaining why the continuation of such atrocities is wrong.

3. I've just finished a unit about the Holocaust and have given them an assessment where they have to design a day's events for Holocaust Memorial Day. If you PM me I can email it to you if you like (It's not mine - I'll confess now but stolen from my NQT!).
    A problem I've found has been that students have done the usual "say everything I know about this subject" instead of actually completing the task.
    A colleauge used to ask students to write an essay entitled "Where was God at Auschwitz?" although this wasn't levelled.
    Glad the HEDP is good - I'm booked to go on it soon.

4. Thanks for all these offers, great to have a starting point!
    I want to develop the aspects of Jewish religion during the holocaust, Passover in the ghettos for example. Are there any good resources for me to learn more about this from? I feel my subject knowledge is lacking in this area!
    Cheers,
    Gruffy

5. http://www.aish.com/sh/t/cl/48971006.html

6. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

I do a levelled assessment as part of our suffering unit in Year 8. It is on the resources section here if you would like to take a look.
    What do you do for the lessons? I am very aware that my SOW for holocaust is nowhere near good enough.
    Would people mind loading their lessons onto the TES resources section so we can see what other people are doing and do our best to make sure we are teaching this sensitive but vital issue the best we can?

Thanks