1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holocaust and Historical Approaches

Discussion in 'History' started by josecompanioni, Aug 20, 2017.

1. josecompanioni

josecompanioni New commenter

I will be teaching International History this year. I will cover the Holocaust. I am a little confused by the Syllabus. What are the "different approaches historians adopt." Is it referring to the Traditional, Revisionist and Post Revisionist approaches? Are there others? By this I am wondering if there are specific elements that the students must consider in order to apply the evidence gathered from the different essays or is it just an interpretation based on the different perspectives of the various participants such as the victims, the perpetrators, the liberators, the general population (conformists and activists)? Help!

2. Steelmen

Steelmen New commenter

Hi. I teach Holocaust A level but without knowing your syllabus it is hard to say, however, the historical approaches probably refers to the debate in the holocaust historiography between the intentionalists (the Nazis and Hitler had a grand plan to committ genocide from the start) and the fuctionalists (the chaotic structure of Nazi Germany and the war led the Nazis to become more and more extreme - ending in the holocaust)
    I'd pick uo a cheap access to history copy by Alan Farmer - Anti-semitism and the holocaust.

3. josecompanioni

josecompanioni New commenter

Steelmen, thank you for the information. I did pick up a copy of Farmer's book and find it a very good quick reference to the events.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

5. jegrif

jegrif New commenter

Hi Jose

I am now delivering paper 3 the Holocaust for the first time, and was wondering how you are getting on with this? I have covered the content fully now, and am spending the time looking at the interpretations and approaches. Just a little bit stumped on the best way to do this :/