1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holidays

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pleasemiss__, Apr 22, 2019.

1. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

Is anyone here partnered with/married to a non-teacher? How do you make the holidays work for you? Does your partner/spouse always take time off during the school holidays?

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It was always difficult as people with their own children took priority for child care reasons. He couldn't wait for me to retire and got quite stroppy with anyone who went on about teachers' long holidays.

3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Pretty much. As we have a 7-year old with similar holidays, it works best. However, as he has an elderly mother in a nursing home in another country, he will take time off to visit her at weekends.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Especially if you have your own children it's always got to be family holidays in school holidays time, hasn't it?

5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Yes...for years we had to try and get his holidays in school holiday time (the ex) Was ok when he worked for British Steel as their 2 weeks off fell just as we broke up (usually) However I hated having to dash off as school finished as I always needed that first week off to "climb down" ( week 1 to calm down. weeks 2 to 4 - on holiday "relief", last 2 weeks.... anticipation for going back and work taking a hold :(
    After he was made redundant (thank you ****** Thatcher and sidekick McGregor) he worked for a can making company and had to try to get school hols time - not always easy and he wasn't sympathetic or understanding either!
    Now MrREMfan works in a store with majority female staff.... I don't want school holiday time off as I won't go away when the kids are off.... so he is pretty popular and getting his leave booked isn't usually too difficult (except for the time his manager didn't write his request into "the book" and when he reminded her about 2 months before our cruise she was refusing it! Luckily for us he found the previous year's office diary and we photographed the entry in the diary re his request for leave - this was November for the following September - but indisputable proof he was first to request leave at that time! )

1 person likes this.
  6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

My partner can't get any time off in school holidays as priority has to go to those with children of their own.
    So, we could never have a holiday together.

7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Yes, no option when you are a family with children, if you want to go away anywhere.
    My husband used to go over and above - back in the day when both our children were at primary school: in order for me to be able to lead a one-week residential school trip to France he would take a week off work to be there for the kids.

8. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

My husband couldn't take school holidays off. It was fine. I loved spending It with the children. My parents lived by the seaside so we would often go and stay with them for a couple of weeks at a time.My husband took days off as and when he could.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The people I've worked with, or know who were married to teachers always tried to arrange their holidays to coincide with their partners, but it's different for organisations that are obliged to provide year long cover.

I get five weeks holiday per annum and since I carried a week over from last year, I've got six weeks holiday to use up. It would be lovely to take it all at once to spend with my grandchildren, but that's not going to be possible. I can get someone to cover for a week or two, as I cover them, but of course the people who cover me have holiday to take as well.

Schools are unique in being able to close without requiring staff cover and it isn't really reasonable to imagine that those who work elsewhere find it easy to fit in with teachers' holidays.

From a practical point of view, since my children are grown up and my grandchilren live abroad with their own ambitions of what they want to do on their holidays, I tend to give way to coworkers with children who want to take time off in the school holidays and since I can't stand kids, it's a delight to take my holidays when the little sods are obliged to be at school.

10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Why? OK, people with children 'need' to take their holidays then. People with a spouse who works in a school also need to! I had this situation too, but I wasn't treated differently before we had children of our own. I'm just putting this here as if anyone id effectively being discriminated against because they can't have/don't want children, remember you should have the same rights.
    Let's face it, if you and yor partner don't have kids, you'd be mad to want to take yoour holiday in school holiday periods unless you had to, no?

Kartoshka likes this.
  11. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

My husband is a teacher. I know we're really lucky and don't mean to sound ungrateful but I sometimes wish I could have a couple of days off to myself. I am a particularly antisocial, introverted type though!

Nanny Ogg likes this.
  12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It's all to do with parental rights. You don't have any rights if you can't have children.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Unfortunately I married a teacher and we taught in the same schools so I had no escape.

lrw22 likes this.
  14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Too right!!

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My husband takes most of his holiday when I am off. We usually manage a couple of weeks away and some long weekends. I enjoy the time at home on my own. Our dogs are very good company.

16. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Mr PC can usually get whatever holidays he wants. We go away in the summer and have short breaks at Easter / half terms as we like. He has been away for family things that I've not been able to do in term time (e.g. a wedding in Barbados...).

I lie in bed looking smug when he has to go to work and I'm off...

17. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

My husband's employers don't give preference to people with children, luckily. He gets a lot less leave than I do but we get sometime together each year. He usually has to take a couple of weeks off in term time though.
    I'm OK with being alone for a fair part of the holidays.