1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

holidays

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blacklistterri, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Is it only me that finds I need to go in to get sorted for September or is it bad luck that I have been moved to another year group and have not been given any time to move before breaking up?

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Mostof the decent teachers I know spend at least a quarter of their 'off'time working

3. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I tend to have to go in any way to tidy normally, but I have left this year so will only be going inot my new school for a few days at the end. I moved rooms last year with no time, spent at least a week getting my new room sorted [​IMG]

4. I moved classrooms for the first time in years last year. There was some time made for moving (giving teachers who were moving some non contact time) in the last week of term. Unfortunately, I was moving into the classroom of a teacher who was a bit (LOT) of a hoarder and who was retiring and in no hurry to clear their stuff. My stuff ended up being added to their things in the room as I had to move my things as there was a whole chain of us moving at the same time and I didn't want to hold anyone up.
    I usually go into school for the first couple of days of the holiday, then stay well clear, but last year I was there for more than a week before I had anything sorted.
    In a way it was therapeutic, and when the kids who had been in that classroom the year before saw it, their reaction was great fun to watch. It was also time consuming and very hard work.

5. Having moved classroom every year since I started teaching (5 years running), I don't know what it'd be like not to have to do it! The last day of term I generally pack stuff into boxes and dump it just outside the new room, then spend about a week finding homes for all the boxed up items etc.
    This year I'm moving into a mobile classroom which doesn't arrive until the middle of the holidays, so I feel a bit resentful that I have to wait until then to set things up, as usually I prefer to do it at the start of the hols and get it over with. Plus I'm pregnant so just hope all the kind TA's who have told me to ring them so they can come in and help me lift stuff will defo be available. Never mind...I try to remind myself how lucky I am to have a job in these times.