1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holidays in France

Discussion in 'Personal' started by henriette, Dec 23, 2010.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

Has anyone been to the Ile d'Oléron?
    It is one of the few places in France I have never been and have spotted a fab looking house there for the summer hols.
    I am guessing that the campsites by the big beaches are probably huge and tacky, but what is the rest of the island like?

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Astonishing.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It's not far from where I come from (just across from Ile de Re). I've always like going there for days out. Don't know about campsites as I've never camped there but I'm sure they are ok and not tacky!

www.ile-oleron-marennes.com

4. Are you from La Rochelle, catmother? I spent a month on the Ile de Re many years ago, and it was wonderful. However, i gather there is a bridge to the mainland now?

5. Yes - I have been there.
    Go - you will not regret it.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes I am. They build a bridge about 20 years ago. Less romantic than going on the ferry but much better for locals who need to get in and out in a reliable manner. The fancy folks from Paris who have houses there were not happy about it............

7. Blimey- just realised I was there in 1983. Longer than I thought! I still remember the lobster and bouillabaisse though.

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

The house I have seen is in St Pierre - looks really nice, but I was wondering about whether we would be inundated with Brits staying at Keycamp/Eurocamp etc.
    Research suggests not.
    Catmother - is it as lovely there as I have always been led to believe? I know the "mainland" west coast pretty well, all the way from Quimper down to south of Arcachon.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It's very nice. I'm sure that you'll enjoy it. Plenty to do in the region.

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

As for the British abroad,I think this region still attracts the more civilised type. Not quite Benidorm yet.

11. My experiences of it are that it wasn't very touristy and had a very genteel air. The light is amazing - quite different from anything I'd ever seen before. Lovely oysters apparently (according to OH). It's just a lovely, lovely place. I'd go there again like a shot.
    The only downside, for me, was having to drive across a ruddy great suspension bridge. I don't like them.

12. megmogndowl

megmogndowl New commenter

I camped there about 8 or 9 years ago. We stayed in a campsite about 10 minutes walk from La Cotiniere (sorry no accents on the laptop). It was very touristy but mostly fill of French people rather than international. I love the Ile D'Oleron, If I had the money I would buy a home there. If you get out of the tourist towns, it is really beautiful. Le phare de Chassiron is definitely worth a visit as is a boat tour round Fort Boyard. If you have time (it's a bit further) it's worth taking a day's boat trip to L'Ile D'Aix - especially if you like birds as it's a sanctuary (as well as being a fishing island with no cars on it!)

13. henriette

henriette New commenter

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear!
    I've done that from La Rochelle
    we don't I'm afraid!
    I'm liking the sound of this more and more - and at €1000 for 2 weeks it is looking like a good bet for the summer!