1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Holidays and Changing quarantine rules

Discussion in 'News' started by MrsLDAVEY, Jul 29, 2020 at 12:47 AM.

1. MrsLDAVEY

MrsLDAVEY New commenter

Hi,

we have had a trip to visit my husbands parents in France For the last two weeks of the summer hols booked since January and at the moment there are no restrictions on our return. However I am worried that just before we leave/as we arrive the rules will change as they did for people going on holiday in Spain. If it does it would mean I would have to quarantine for the first two weeks of the autumn term, I believe unpaid. What would you do? Any advice much appreciated l.

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Personally I wouldn't risk it. Think of the student's education when they have already missed so much. Who would cover you for 2 weeks? Personally I would spend 2 weeks feeling extremely guilty if France did have its rules changed and I was at home for 2 weeks in quarantine.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

If there are no restrictions when you leave then you go. If there are, then you have to make a decision about the likely outcome. Reports today suggest it is likely to be reduced to 7 days via a sixth day test. Worst case scenario is you might have to come home a couple of days earlier.

4. shevington2

shevington2 New commenter

Tests cost £150.00 at the port.

5. shevington2

That should airport

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Is that the same test that costs £0 if you go to your nearest drive-in Covid testing centre?

Who is charging £150? The government/NHS, or some private outfit cashing in?

Is it a compulsory test?

7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

How much money do you have saved up ?
    If you are forewarned and it happens then you won't be surprised -your HT might be though ......

8. MrsLDAVEY

MrsLDAVEY New commenter

Thank you for all the advice. All very useful.

9. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

Have you considered moving the holiday forward? Even tickets that normally cannot be changed may be flexible at the moment.

10. MrsLDAVEY

MrsLDAVEY New commenter

Where did you read that it is likely to be reduced to 7 days and 6th day test?

11. MrsLDAVEY

MrsLDAVEY New commenter

I am looking into that now. Thanks

12. Andy13uk

Andy13uk New commenter

It all comes down to the level of risk you want to have in your life.

When everyone seems to be complaining about Spain and the new quarantine rules I just think to myself "why did you go you didn't want any consequences from your fairly risky actions". Same if you went on holiday and when you returned you realised you caught Covid-19 while away, wouldn't you feel you have put yourself in completely avoidable risk?

International holidays isn't even a consideration at the moment. I don't see some schools being a that understanding either if the reason you are not in school is you went on holiday.

13. shevington2

That was figure of £150.00 was quoted by Chief Executive of Heathrow Airport this morning on Sky Business News. To be tested at the Airport. Would a family pay £600. o

14. Rott Weiler

Found it, thanks

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53578102

15. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It was in the Guardian this morning,

16. Rott Weiler

It's one of a range of possible options for reducing the length of quarantine being put about by various researchers and interested parties. Travel industry is particularly keen to shorten the quarantine period as much as possible, eg to 7 days.

So far the government response to these options is that they are "examining ways in which the impact of the quarantine could be mitigated". So anyone's guess what will happen, or when. I haven't seen anything that says 7 days and 6th day test is "likely" to happen, only that it's one of the options put forward.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-after-uk-arrival-could-halve-quarantine-time